Wanting players to take in-game religion more seriously

Uchawi

First Post
Have the gods react to what the character do in subtle ways, whether that is bonus spells, NPCs or monsters reacting differently, just don't try to convert them over night ;p Religion takes time and devotion.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Unless you have a very special group of players invested in the campaign setting, they're simply not going to. It's why I don't bother with top-down campaign settings anymore, I get a feel for what the players are interested in and simply do a very loosely sketched setting instead.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Talk to your players (especially the priest). Let them know what you expect, see what THEY expect and reach some agreement. With the priest, ask him to create holy days, rituals, habits etc...they don't have to be detailed, just something he can reference. The idea is, with creation comes investment, with investment, interest. And he will want his own creation to make some impact and may actually start pushing other players (at a minimum, he should read deities and demigods for his own deity, paying attention to dogma and vows. You should too so you can know when he does something opposite.

Still with the priest, he needs to behave in accordance to faith. For example, dealing with cultist of some foul god should be much harder for him then dealing with evil assassin. Withdrawing healing (and support) from character who mocks his faith should be rewarded. Doing the same for mocking him (the character, not the player) should not.

Other thread proposals: I wouldn't directly punish the player in a sense of withdrawing spells (except in extreme cases), but social effects, hierarchy and recognition slights (yes, you are heroes, you saved the city, but why would we, as a church, recognize someone who misuses power of the divine?)

Talk to your players (especially the priest). Let them know what you expect, see what THEY expect and reach some agreement. With the priest, ask him to create holy days, rituals, habits etc...they don't have to be detailed, just something he can reference. The idea is, with creation comes investment, with investment, interest. And he will want his own creation to make some impact and may actually start pushing other players (at a minimum, he should read deities and demigods for his own deity, paying attention to dogma and vows. You should too so you can know when he does something opposite.

Still with the priest, he needs to behave in accordance to faith. For example, dealing with cultist of some foul god should be much harder for him then dealing with evil assassin. Withdrawing healing (and support) from character who mocks his faith should be rewarded. Doing the same for mocking him (the character, not the player) should not.

I would never instruct my players how they should play their character.

He chose the priest. If he doesn't want to play one, he should choose something else. And my first advice was to talk to them

Yeah, but it is not the first part that I had an issue with, it's everything you said after that.

I don't tell my players that they must constantly worship their god, and come up with religious holidays, because they play a priest.

I don't tell my players that they must go for walks in the forest and be nice to all animals, because they play a druid.

If I want my players to take faith in my campaign more seriously, I simply make it a more important aspect of my telling of the world. I try to get them interested, but I don't tell them to take it seriously.

Neurotic

QUOTE: with the priest ASK him to create... There is no need to change that in you have to...it just May have some positive effect in the game. And the player May even help DM get others along. With investment comes interest

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Other thread proposals: I wouldn't directly punish the player in a sense of withdrawing spells (except in extreme cases), but social effects, hierarchy and recognition slights (yes, you are heroes, you saved the city, but why would we, as a church, recognize someone who misuses power of the divine?)

Why would you, as a church, recognise someone who misuses power of the divine?

The polite reason is because we saved the city. And also that looks like a nice church you have there, it would be a real shame if something happened to it.

Lanliss

Explorer
Why would you, as a church, recognise someone who misuses power of the divine?

The polite reason is because we saved the city. And also that looks like a nice church you have there, it would be a real shame if something happened to it.

Like maybe a Dragon that us trusty adventurers were just too late to stop?

*Lanliss uses the Help action for Shasarak's Intimidation check*

Neurotic

:-S ;)
Now that would be the cause for cleric to lose all power until he atones. Intentionally destroying his own gods church for petty revenge...right.

It would also trigger evil curches to start offering services,return of power etc.

Remove ads