• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warcraft RPG??

MarauderX

Explorer
gimmegimmegimme!

Warcraft III has been more addicting than crack cocaine to me (not that I have tried the latter, just heard...) and I love the many aspects that could be drawn out of the game to make a successful campaign. I think it will be great fun to play the RPG and can't wait for it to come out. Now, will they have a mass combat system in there?

edit: spelling...

Last edited:

Darmyth

First Post
Is there a website that has good information about the game?

Like races, classes, general info. If it's supposed to be due out in a couple months, I would imagine that they would start dumping some info to get the fans more interested.

Thanks for the info btw.

FDP Mike

First Post
Darmyth said:
Is there a website that has good information about the game?

There's nothing official yet from S&SS (or Blizzard), so far as I know. You should expect to see a web site and discussion forum set up eventually by the S&SS folks, similar, I guess, to what they've done for EverQuest and Ravenloft.

I know that one of the (new) PC races will be previewed in the next "Sword & Sorcery Insider" issue (which you will be able to download from the S&SS site, I imagine). In the end, though, I'm not sure who handles this sort of thing.

A while back, there was a rather lengthy Warcraft RPG thread on the Scarred Lands forum, but it's fallen away now. You could, for the time being, post something there -- Deirdre, the developer, checks in and answers questions.

Thanks for the info btw.

You're very welcome! :)

I was quite excited to work on the RPG, as I just love the computer game series. It's good to say at least a little about the core book, which will be a fabulous product.

Take care,
Mike

Zappo

Explorer
I am probably going to get this.

To get an idea of the magnitude of this assertion, know that until now the only non-WotC D20 product I've bought is the Ravenloft book, and the only other ones I've considered buying are Relics & Rituals and Arcana Unearthed.

But I just love Warcraft, what can I say?

Necrogorgon

First Post
Is there a plan in place to keep this from going the same way as the Diablo line of products? The biggest mistake that setting made IMO is that there was never a release of a setting book. The second release was nothing but Diablo II d20... who wants to do that when you can just play the game. Running that module would have been like taking a CPA exam. I can't even conceive of that much number crunching. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm very happy to read all of this. Not that I played warcraft games ever before, but it sounds tempting. Also, I'm of the opinion that when the Diablo II books were done, they were a bit inferior, which would discourage me normally; but I'm thinking that SSS will do a much better job. Diablo II could have used a more thourough development into pen and paper...

FDP Mike

First Post
Necrogorgon said:
Is there a plan in place to keep this from going the same way as the Diablo line of products? The biggest mistake that setting made IMO is that there was never a release of a setting book.

I never looked at the Diablo products, so I can't make a fully informed response about the comparison, but ....

If I read your concern properly, Necrogorgon, you're hoping that the Warcraft core book (and subsequent releases?) is not just "crunch," so to speak? Well, not to worry! Once again, the comparison that Impeesa made earlier to Oriental Adventures is a good one, I think. The core book provides a lot of setting information, including a relatively detailed narrative of Azeroth's history up to the time just after the Third War and an entire (lengthy) chapter describing lands and locations.

A lot of attention is paid to establishing the mood and unique character of the setting, with any rules tweaks and additions done to express and reinforce that mood and character.

If you give the core book a chance, I believe that you will be pleased ... on this count, at least. :)

Take care,
Mike

Darmyth

First Post
I had heard a rumor that there is only going to be 4 races (human, dwarf, orc, night elf). Are you able to verify this info or are you not allowed to? There are a multitude of races in Warcraft so I'm hoping that the majority of them are playable.

Along with this, are you able to inform us as to whether or not you have to be a certain race to be a specific class. D&D 3e has made it where almost any race can be almost any class whereas warcraft (the video game) a "mortar team" can only be done with dwarves. While this fit the video game well, I'm unsure how well it'd cross over into the RPG genre.

Again, thanks for providing whatever info that you're able to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads