• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock and Repelling Blast

Eric V

Hero
But I have to declare all my targets first, right? No waiting to see how the first blast goes, etc.

So then, why aren't they simultaneous? Because now [MENTION=6799649]Arial Black[/MENTION] seems to have a point...

pdegan2814

First Post
But I have to declare all my targets first, right? No waiting to see how the first blast goes, etc.

So then, why aren't they simultaneous? Because now [MENTION=6799649]Arial Black[/MENTION] seems to have a point...

The short, blunt answer is "because that's how Wizards Of The Coast says it works" :)

But think of it like this. If you're casting a 3-beam Eldritch Blast, all three beams are part of the same "casting" of the spell, and once you cast it, it's done. If you imagine the beams coming out of your staff, you're probably thinking of them all erupting from the tip of the staff at the same time, each tracking to its assigned target. Instead think about them erupting from the tip of the staff in rapid succession. If you want a modern comparison, think of the 3-round burst setting on an M-16 rifle. Three bullets fired from one press of the trigger, but unlike the bullets you can send the beams to wildly different locations because....magic. :) Separate beams, launching one after the other, but each one generated from a single casting of Eldritch Blast. And part of that casting included the magical equivalent of the player declaring "I send two beams to the troll, and the third to the hobgoblin".

Now all this being said, if your gaming group wants to house-rule different mechanics for how Eldritch Blast and/or other multi-target spells work, that's totally up to you. Unless it's an Adventurer's League game or some other form of organized play that relies on standardized rules between parties, you're free to customize the game however you like. Just make sure everybody's in agreement BEFORE your Warlock starts firing them off. :)

Think of it this way:

Step one: Cast, declaring targets.

Step two: Beams leap from your hand (or wherever), in extremely rapid succession but not quite simultaneously, aimed at the targets you declared when casting.

Step three: Profit. Or cause damage, whichever.

Edit: Ninjaed, by mere seconds! Damn you, Batman!

spectacle

First Post

No, you don't declare the targets first. You have to follow the rules for "making an attack" on page 193-194 in the PHB, and those rules require you to pick the target when you make the attack, not when you begin to cast a spell. There is no support in the rules for declaring the target of the second attack of a multi attack power before you have resolved the first attack.

pdegan2814

First Post
No, you don't declare the targets first. You have to follow the rules for "making an attack" on page 193-194 in the PHB, and those rules require you to pick the target when you make the attack, not when you begin to cast a spell. There is no support in the rules for declaring the target of the second attack of a multi attack power before you have resolved the first attack.

Mike Mearls from Wizards responded to this very issue on Twitter back in August, you pick all your targets when casting the spell.

spectacle

First Post
Mike Mearls from Wizards responded to this very issue on Twitter back in August, you pick all your targets when casting the spell.
I thought everyone knew by now that Mike Mearls doesn't consult the rulebook before answering on twitter. ;)
He's just plain wrong in this case, that's just not what the rules say.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I thought everyone knew by now that Mike Mearls doesn't consult the rulebook before answering on twitter. ;)
He's just plain wrong in this case, that's just not what the rules say.

Show me in the rules where casting a spell works like Multiattack. You don't don't get move between beams. You cast the spell using the Cast Spell action, not the Attack Action or any variant. The spell text explains exactly how it works.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
According to Jeremy Crawford, "Multiple attacks on the same turn aren't simultaneous, unless a feature or spell says otherwise", the bolts from a high-level Eldritch Blast hit in sequence. You're essentially "hitting" the target 2/3/4 times(assuming you send all three to the same target), hence the separate attack rolls.

Grab the ruling and show me. Cast a Spell is an action. You don't get to move between blasts because they happen simultaneously. You to show me where Crawford says I get to fire my scorching ray or eldrtich blast and move between rays or beams like I get to do when I use Multiattack or the Attack action to hit multiple times with a weapon. If you can find this ruling, I'll change the way I do things. If Crawford states I get to move between each ray or beam, then I will consider the attacks not simultaneous.

My practical view of the invocations is this: Agonizing Blast infuses each beam with extra lethality, which is why you add your Cha modifier to each hit(this HAS been ruled on). Repelling Blast infuses each beam with additional kinetic force, so a target gets pushed back each time they get hit by a beam.

I don't play it this way. Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast have different text. I will continue to play that eldritch blast only knocks a target back 10 feet per casting until I see an official ruling otherwise.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
It's three separate attacks. Each one can knock the monster back 10ft. Note that this can take them out of range of subsequent blasts, so be careful.

I don't think that it would do that. Yes it can get the target out of range but only after all rays hit it.

Because you must choose all targets at once. you cant roll one attack then wait for results than choose a second target. all rays hit at once.

So I.E. if you hit with one ray you push the target with lets say 100lb of force, two rays with 200lb...etc...

Remove ads