• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock and Repelling Blast

Noctem

Explorer
It says it in the rules and the spell. It says used Cast a Spell action for casting any spell, even it requires an attack roll. A spell like scorching ray says you get fire up to three fire rays from one casting. You don't get to use them next round. You don't get to pick the target after you know the result of the first hit. It says you get to fire three rays that require attack rolls. That means you exactly what it says. Pick targets, fire three rays, roll attack rolls, resolve effect.

Just as you used an example like magic missile to say they must say that to fire simultaneously, I'll pick a spell like sunbeam to show what a spell looks like that gives multiple beams but allows you to use it over multiple rounds and targets.
The spell will tell you if you get to wait for the attacks to resolve before picking targets. If the spell does not clearly tell you to fire a ray, see if it hits, then pick targets, you have to pick them at all at once. It's an implied part of the Cast a Spell action. Nowhere in eldritch blast or scorching ray does it say, "Fire ray, see what happens, fire next ray, see what happens.". The spell generates the rays or beams when you cast it. Period. It does nothing else. To see if the rays hit you make an attack roll. That is a property of the ray, not the spell. The effect of the spell is to generate all the rays. You have to pick targets when you cast the spell because the spell generates the rays when you cast it. Unlike swinging a sword which lets you pick a target each swing.

You're looking at the spell as giving you the ability to generate rays when you want to do so such as after the attack is resolved. That is not what eldritch blast or scorching ray do. The spell generates the rays and you have to know how you're doing to use them immediately when you cast the spell because the rays are all generated immediately when the spell is cast...otherwise known as simultaneously. It doesn't say they pulse or go off 1 second after another or you can walk between beams or any text of the kind. It says you generate the rays and make the hit rolls. No other actions taken between. You can pick targets within range. They must be picked when you cast it with no other decision as part of the process other than casting the spell and available targets within range. You don't get to see damage done. You don't get to fire a beam, move, and pick another target. You don't get to fire two beams and ready a third beam when a target gets in range. You fire them all at once when you cast the spell.

I will strongly recommend that you stop posting nonsense and go actually read the rules you're trying to discuss. You're adding a bunch of stuff to the rules text in the PHB in an attempt to make a coherent statement. The problem is that as soon as someone actually go to read the rules, they immediately see that you have no idea what you're talking about. That is of course unless you realize that you're forwarding a houserule that you use at home and aren't trying to convince others that your houserule follows the rules in the book. Stop spreading misinformation please.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The people saying these things are totally out of touch with the rules they are trying to discuss. What you've been quoting is complete proof of that. Keeping the spell active? What does that even mean within the context of the 5e rules? It's these kinds of invented terms that we have to watch out for because they lead to confusion for people reading these threads. You can't just invent rules to solidify your argument people, doesn't work that way.

Attacks are resolved in sequence. When you make an attack you pick the target of that attack. This is true for ALL attacks within 5e, they can be weapon, spell, item, etc.. it doesn't matter. All are handled the exact same way EXCEPT when specifically stated to work differently. Magic Missile is the exception, not the general rule.

Instantaneous duration is described in the PHB. GO READ IT. You will find that the description says that a spell with that duration cannot be dispelled, that it is cast and resolved within a short span of time which is why it can't be dispelled (but it can be Counterspelled!!!) and that's it. No simultaneous attacks nonsense, none of the other invented stuff that's being tied to this word. Don't fall for the houserules of other people like if it's rules text. read the PHB.

Explain how much time occurs between each ray or beam? Do you get to move between each ray or beam? Do you get to resolve damage? Do you get to do anything else between each ray or beam? By all means, enlighten us to what other actions you get to take when firing an eldritch blast between beams.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I will strongly recommend that you stop posting nonsense and go actually read the rules you're trying to discuss. You're adding a bunch of stuff to the rules text in the PHB in an attempt to make a coherent statement. The problem is that as soon as someone actually go to read the rules, they immediately see that you have no idea what you're talking about. That is of course unless you realize that you're forwarding a houserule that you use at home and aren't trying to convince others that your houserule follows the rules in the book. Stop spreading misinformation please.

I would say the same to you. I want you to explain what you get to do between the firing of the beams according to the rules.

Noctem

Explorer
Explain how much time occurs between each ray or beam?

Your question is irrelevant to the discussion because time is not a factor when making attacks in 5e. You're shifting the goal posts of the discussion now that multiple rules quotes have been given.

xyJMLkg.jpg

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Your question is irrelevant to the discussion because time is not a factor when making attacks in 5e. You're shifting the goal posts of the discussion now that multiple rules quotes have been given.

View attachment 72176

Time is not a factor when making attacks in 5E is your answer? You're saying time doesn't exist in 5E? This is how you think the game designers see it?

When a poster has to resort to snarky little memes, it means he has no real argument.

Noctem

Explorer
I would say the same to you. I want you to explain what you get to do between the firing of the beams according to the rules.

Well I would really recommend you read the PHB instead but to answer your question with an example: you can move since the rules say you can move between attacks.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Well I would really recommend you read the PHB instead but to answer your question with an example: you can move since the rules say you can move between attacks.

So you're saying that a warlock firing a level 11 eldtrich blast using the Cast a Spell action can fire a beam and then move 15 feet and fire another beam and move another 15 feet and fire another beam? I want to be clear.

By the rules a spell is not giving you any attacks. It's merely allowing you to use an attack roll to resolve the spell. Which has a very different meaning. I see once again the snarky little poster doesn't know the rules he's attempting to assert.

Noctem

Explorer
Time is not a factor when making attacks in 5E is your answer? You're saying time doesn't exist in 5E? This is how you think the game designers see it?

You're extrapolating things from my response and adding words in my mouth. Don't speak for me. I'm saying that your question is irrelevant to how attacks are resolved in 5e and furthermore that you should ask the designers your question instead of apparently assuming that they see it in a different way and then trying to use that as an argument for saying attacks are simultaneous. The logical leaps you're making are flawed from the get go.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
You're extrapolating things from my response and adding words in my mouth. Don't speak for me. I'm saying that your question is irrelevant to how attacks are resolved in 5e and furthermore that you should ask the designers your question instead of apparently assuming that they see it in a different way and then trying to use that as an argument for saying attacks are simultaneous. The logical leaps you're making are flawed from the get go.

I guess multiple editions of the game requiring simultaneous targeting for spells like scorching ray isn't a sufficient logical leap. Spells like eldtrich blast and scorching ray have been handled this way for multiple editions of the game. Too bad you're unaware of this.

The only question we're discussion is whether Repelling Blast is 10 feet once or multiple times. As far as how the Cast a Spell action works, I'm quite clear on that. You don't get to move between making attack rolls for a spell like scorching ray or choose targets after seeing results. You don't get multiple attacks from the Cast a Spell action. You're highly confused if you think that is the case. I'm done engaging someone who isn't even aware of the different between the Attack action with the Extra Attack ability and the Cast a Spell action.

Last edited:

spectacle

First Post
The people saying these things are totally out of touch with the rules they are trying to discuss. What you've been quoting is complete proof of that. Keeping the spell active? What does that even mean within the context of the 5e rules? It's these kinds of invented terms that we have to watch out for because they lead to confusion for people reading these threads. You can't just invent rules to solidify your argument people, doesn't work that way.
I can see that. :D I will leave the rest of this "discussion" to you as it sounds you have some amount of experience with it. I doubt you can convince these people that the "spell attacks are simultaneous" rule exists only in their head, but hopefully the idea won't spread to anyone else reading this thread.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads