• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock: Eldritch Blast

Li Shenron

Legend
I sounds like your problem is less the actual power and more that the only current Minor Invocations are a direct damage invocation(Eldritch Blast) and a movement invocation(Shadow Veil).

Yes and no... If there were more lesser invocations AND eldritch blast wasn't automatically known, then it would be much better already, but still 3d6 sounds just like every Warlock would anyway pick it up (in fact this may be because it's automatic... because as it is they know they would have it anyway).

B.T.

First Post
I am actually more concerned with "touch and feel" than straight math.

No amount of math can after all convince me that EB is balanced if the way EB works is such that my Warlock players simply use it all the time ad nauseam.
So if a fighter decides to use a melee attack all the time ad nauseum, does that mean his melee attacks are imbalanced?

cmbarona

First Post
To get more to the point, there are a number of reasons to "spam" an attack. One is that it's overpowered, the other is that all alternatives are underpowered. Or they ran out of options, with only 2 favors. Sound judgement requires more than the study of one variable.

B.T.

First Post
To get more to the point, there are a number of reasons to "spam" an attack. One is that it's overpowered, the other is that all alternatives are underpowered. Or they ran out of options, with only 2 favors. Sound judgement requires more than the study of one variable.
I think eldritch blast spam is working as intended. Personally, I might drop the damage to 2d6 + Cha so it acts like a greatsword.

Last edited:

I think eldritch blast spam is working as intended. Personally, I might drop the damage to 2d6 + Cha so it acts like a greatsword.

I do think this is a good model: apply the stat modifier to damage for all classes, which means that you can compare power levels simply by comparing damage dice (and special factors, of course). Fighter gets the option from a CS damage bump across the board to retain a bit of a combat edge.

Warlock vs fighter comparison otherwise is a bit misleading because to get the most damage a fighter has to wade into melee, while the warlock can hang back with a ranged attack at somewhat less personal risk.

It's difficult to assess the Warlock Class mechanically, as it's history is solely based on more recent editions of the game, where power creep became more apparent.

I actually like the theme, and see it as a way of having some quite archetypal characters included in the game (Elric, possibly, and so on), although I'd prefer to use the term 'Witch' as it's more universal (and less sexist!).

With regards to the 'Eldritch Blast', it does seem to be overpowering as an 'at will' ranged attack, regardless of level, although I appreciate that they still have to roll to hit (unlike Wizard's Magic Missiles).

The notion of Warlocks being 'strikers' is a bit of a 4E-ism that fails to reconsider that the starting HPs of PCs in this current play test are lower than what they were. I think the magnitude (and maybe even the range) of the damage could be toned down to suit this. 2D6 (range 25 feet), for me, would be sensible.

Of course, your views may differ....

Mezzer

First Post
I do think this is a good model: apply the stat modifier to damage for all classes, which means that you can compare power levels simply by comparing damage dice (and special factors, of course). Fighter gets the option from a CS damage bump across the board to retain a bit of a combat edge.

Warlock vs fighter comparison otherwise is a bit misleading because to get the most damage a fighter has to wade into melee, while the warlock can hang back with a ranged attack at somewhat less personal risk.
I really like that they're not including primary stats into damage rolls for most spells, including at-wills. It helps make them feel quite different from the physical side of combat, and it also adheres to the no-scaling idea they're going with. Something like 2d6+Cha is better than 3d6, and the problem most people have with EB is the damage at level 1, even though it just doesn't scale quickly afterward.

Li Shenron

Legend
So if a fighter decides to use a melee attack all the time ad nauseum, does that mean his melee attacks are imbalanced?

If it's a decision against a valid alternative, no.

If a fighter decides to use the same one melee attack with same effect (e.g. straight damage, like in Eldritch Blast) all the time because it's always better than trying something else with that attack (or another action), then it's unbalanced. Have you noticed how many gamers complained in previous editions against alternative options because attack+damage was too often more convenient to pass on?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads