• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock, Hex, and Short Rests: The Bag of Rats Problem

the Jester

Legend
The problem here is that now instead of a bag of rats, the warlock is incentivized to go punch a villager into unconsciousness. Or just slit their throat.

Sure, if you can do that sort of thing without risk of consequences in the game.

It pushes the character towards finding an easy low-risk combat scenario, which is arguably even weirder than the bag of rats. The hardest part of a fully satisfying solution to this issue for me is that allowing all of the mechanics that lead to a bag of rats, which on their own are all reasonable and seem to be RAI and RAW how the warlock is balanced, leads to some kind of weird behavior.

I'm fine with the pc seeking out a low-risk combat scenario, but I can't imagine any player in my game attacking a villager like you describe. I mean, doesn't that lead to city guards/bans from local businesses/no love from the locals? In other words, isn't that a tactic with obvious consequences that make it not worth it?

If the pcs go to find a goblin for an easy fight, awesome! Who knows what they'll actually find?

I don't know, disallow the bag of rats (or bag of canaries, or whatever similar shenanigans), and I just don't see a problem, at least not in my game.

zaratan

First Post
RAW you can, nothing say you don't, unlike long rest that make you incapacitated. About game balance, whats the problem with hex? 24h hex is a 5th lvl concentration spellslot for +1d6 damage for attack hit, every time you need to use in another target you need to use another bonus action. You want to use any other concentration spell? Lose hex.
About hex, as DM, you just need to attack the warlock until he lose his concentration.

there is lots of real problems with short rest abuse for warlock, like goodberry or animate dead, and isn't that hard for a DM to break that abuse. There ins't any problem with hex and rats to me.

Ganymede81

First Post
RAW you can

This is factually inaccurate. As already pointed out in the first page, you can only benefit from a short rest if you do nothing more strenuous than "eating, drinking, reading, or tending to wounds." Furthermore, there is nothing in the rules that actually explains whether concentrating on a spell is more strenuous than those tasks. A DM is free to draw inferences from rules to create a ruling that works for his or her table, but to say that there is a RAW answer one way or the other is simply incorrect.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
This is factually inaccurate. As already pointed out in the first page, you can only benefit from a short rest if you do nothing more strenuous than "eating, drinking, reading, or tending to wounds." Furthermore, there is nothing in the rules that actually explains whether concentrating on a spell is more strenuous than those tasks. A DM is free to draw inferences from rules to create a ruling that works for his or her table, but to say that there is a RAW answer one way or the other is simply incorrect.

This is factually inaccurate. Concentration is not defined as more, less or just as strenuous, therefore it is perfectly valid to say RAW nothing says you can't. Because it doesn't say that concentration is too strenuous.

If you have to add something that's not written, such as concentration being to strenuous, it's no longer RAW.

RAW nothing says you can't, but it's unclear whether you can. To some.

Ganymede81

First Post
This is factually inaccurate. Concentration is not defined as more, less or just as strenuous, therefore it is perfectly valid to say RAW nothing says you can't. Because it doesn't say that concentration is too strenuous.

If you have to add something that's not written, such as concentration being to strenuous, it's no longer RAW.

RAW nothing says you can't, but it's unclear whether you can. To some.

He literally said "RAW you can."

Remove ads