• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock, Hex, and Short Rests: The Bag of Rats Problem

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oookay. So I have a question for anyone who still wants to discuss this:

Do those who want to rule against this feel that the Warlock is overpowered with it working?

Do people that want to rule for it (or convince the DM to) feel that the Warlock is nerfed without it?

Are there people that are only for or against it because they feel the rules tell them to go one way in spite of whatever they feel about it?

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Oookay. So I have a question for anyone who still wants to discuss this:

Do those who want to rule against this feel that the Warlock is overpowered with it working?

Do people that want to rule for it (or convince the DM to) feel that the Warlock is nerfed without it?

Are there people that are only for or against it because they feel the rules tell them to go one way in spite of whatever they feel about it?

As an against, no, I don't feel that the warlock would be overpowered if it worked. I dislike it because it's bad design, if intended, and metagamey (a term used here to mean thinking of the game as a game and acting accordingly).

ad_hoc

(they/them)

No, not really. I think the Warlock is plenty powerful as is but this isn't a game breaking amount of power.

It's more that rules exploits ruin the game. Having someone in the group playing like that makes for a miserable experience.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No, not really. I think the Warlock is plenty powerful as is but this isn't a game breaking amount of power.

It's more that rules exploits ruin the game. Having someone in the group playing like that makes for a miserable experience.
Also good points. What of those who don't feel it IS an exploit, but actually "the way it's intended to work"?

I see it possible (though I haven't experienced it "live") that a sincere player might think it's meant to work that way.

ThePolarBear

First Post
it's bad design [...] and metagamey (a term used here to mean thinking of the game as a game and acting accordingly).

How so? I can't really think on why it would be bad design and i would like to read your opinion, but it's no more metagaming than casting simulacrum and having it cast wish for you. A character would do so if he knows that its possible to do so. If i could, i would do IRL. If a character knows that something is possible and can be used, why not doing it? How is that metagaming (intending your meaning)?

A character clearly knows its spells. Duration, time to cast and so on. He knows for certain what he needs to do to recover its resources. He would, at the very least, try or read if such a thing is possible with in world material.
People do something that it's not tought possible ALL THE TIME irl. Even without knowing what the rules behind something are.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
Also good points. What of those who don't feel it IS an exploit, but actually "the way it's intended to work"?

I see it possible (though I haven't experienced it "live") that a sincere player might think it's meant to work that way.

I have no problem with Warlock's maintaining concentration through a short (or long) rest to maintain Hex through its duration. Otherwise, why have that duration when the rests are somewhat expected.

I do have an issue with the rest and then I rest attitude. For me, the characters must actively break the previous rest before having another one. If there is no clear break of activity, it is still the same rest.

Remove ads