• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock, Hex, and Short Rests: The Bag of Rats Problem

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't mean to paint all Warlock players (or for that matter, Power Gamers) with one brush,

Apparently you do, since that's exactly what you do next.

but in my experience, the only people who fight for the most-generous ruling here (that you have Hex going all the time with all your slots and anything less is nerfing the Warlock)... like to play Warlocks (or worse, Warlock dips) because the result is overpowered?

"The only people who disagree with the way I want it to work are powergamers who want overpowered stuff." Good thing you aren't biased or anything.

The fact that some people see the "concentrate through short rests" as RAW just means they are dirty power gamers, right? Couldn't be people reaching their own conclusions based on the text, it has to be powergaming.

For your information, I've stated more than once that allowing it or not allowing it makes very little difference to the warlock overall. So not allowing it isn't a "nerf", and allowing it is only a minor boost. My understanding of the RAW indicates it's allowed - despite what the Sheep Mage thinks.

Killborn

First Post
From what I understand, taking a short rest requires you do nothing more strenuous than sitting still around a fire. Therefore you cannot concentrate a spell during rest.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
From what I understand, taking a short rest requires you do nothing more strenuous than sitting still around a fire. Therefore you cannot concentrate a spell during rest.

"eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds."

It should be noted that you are able to read and still concentrate on a spell. I think one of the major problems here is that most of the rules in 5e are written flavour first, while concentration is written mechanics first and then flavour is forgotten about.

Whatever concentration represents, it's not what I think of as concentration. That's the heart of the matter.

MrHotter

First Post
Do you notice that depending on how you rule the whole rest and recovering spell slots because "warlocks" has some impact on other features? I would assume most of the examples of non-concentration long duration spells I can pick from the spell list will be deemed "not problematic". Nonetheless, denying someone from recovering a spell slot on the grounds of "your magic energy is still invested somewhere else" might cause problems where there were none. The multiclass sorcerer/warlock may even prove more challenging, as they could, later in the day, break a warlock spell slot for some sorcery points and then short-rest to recover the spell slot afterwards. Now, what happens? Should the sorcery points be lost because the spell slot was recovered?

We all decide different things at our table. Players figuring out ways to cheese the rules will be handled differently by different DMs. This whole thread started over the 'bag of rats'.

As far as using Pact Magic spell slots to regain sorcery points, I would not allow that at my table either. I'm sure other DMs would disagree. The muticlass spell slots list does not include Warlock levels, so their spell slots are calculated seperately even if they can use them to cast spells from another class. Since warlock spellcasting is handled differently, it makes sense (to me at my table) that they use different rules for their slots.

At my table the Sorc/warlock should use his Warlock pact magic slots first so he can recover them at a short rest, but I would make him use his spellcasting slots for adding/removing sorc points between long rests.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As I suspected, the answer to this debate has been solved for a long time. Way back in 2014 as a matter of fact.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/20/sleeping-during-rest/

Two things that show the designer's intent:

1. Yes, you can maintain concentration during a short rest if you're not doing other things like sleeping (sleeping is not required to complete a short rest, so yes, you can gain the benefits of a short rest while concentrating on a spell)
2. Sleeping is not part of the "complete list" in the PHB, which proves that that "complete list" is not in fact complete, but guidelines and groundwork for the types of things that....CAN (including but not limited to)....stop concentration.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
As I suspected, the answer to this debate has been solved for a long time. Way back in 2014 as a matter of fact.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/20/sleeping-during-rest/

Two things that show the designer's intent:

1. Yes, you can maintain concentration during a short rest if you're not doing other things like sleeping (sleeping is not required to complete a short rest, so yes, you can gain the benefits of a short rest while concentrating on a spell)
2. Sleeping is not part of the "complete list" in the PHB, which proves that that "complete list" is not in fact complete, but guidelines and groundwork for the types of things that....CAN (including but not limited to)....stop concentration.

While I agree with you that the list is not exhaustive, sleep is part of the list.

If you are incapacitated you lose concentration. You become incapacitated when you are unconscious.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads