D&D 5E Warlock, Pact of the Blade, Melee

CapnZapp

Legend
Considering characters at the moment and one option is the Warlock. Looks pretty cool. Anyway, I notice Pact of the Blade, which immediately appealed, but the problem I'm having now is I can't see why I'd do that over and above spamming Eldritch Bolt?

I'm generally not very good at the build crafting, so I may be missing something, but there doesn't seem a way to enhance that summoned weapons damage beyond spreading your stats out to STR? While oddly, there is Eldritch Blasting enhancing options within the class.

So...is Pact of the Blade viable without multi-classing?
I honestly feel the special support for gishes can't compare with combining the best support for straight-up fighters with the best support for straight-up casters.

Which means Bladelocks (and Valor Bards etc) work best in games without multiclassing, where those juicy first few fighter levels isn't an option.

And even then the Mountain Dwarf gives you medium armor and decent weapons so you don't really need to bother with the intricacies and oddities of the Warlock class, you can go straight-up Wizard if you want.

(And if you object Eldritch Blast is better than any Cantrip given to Wizards, the question becomes why play Bladelock if you're gonna rely on Eldritch Blast?)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
SCIMITAR OF SPEED Weapon (scimitar), very rare (requires attunement)
You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. In addition, you can make one attack with it as a bonus action on each of your turns.

This weapon from the dungeon master's handbook seems to fit perfectly with a Bladelock.

Looking at it, this weapon seems to make two weapon fighting obsolete

actually, I don't think this weapon should exist

This should be its own thread really.

Remove ads