• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock's Curse, Fey Pact and a Bag o'Rats...

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
Casual Gamer: Here's where we see the biggest improvement over 3.x. The ability to just sit down and play without a super-intense briefing session is going to be a major strength of the new edition. Roll high versus defense. Roll high to save. All powers tell you what they do right on your sheet. The more they make it easy to grok, the better the beer & pretzels gamers will like it.

But not the casual gamers in my group. They want to hang out and interact. They want to play a character but they want a simple character. They do not want to be constantly watching the board to figure out powers to activate or what tactical maneuvers would be best for the situation. What they want to do is stand still and hit things when there turn comes around.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Rugger said:
We asked about the line-of-sight issue at our table (DM'd by Rob Heinsoo), and he confirmed that my Eladrin Ranger could NOT teleport through a closed door.

I think it's safe to say that it will take higher level spells or Rituals to do 'blind' teleporting.

- Matt
Excellent. That's what I expected.

The advantage for it being a teleport is that the intervening space can be occupied by opponents. I don't think you can shift through an occupied space.

Aenghus

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
But not the casual gamers in my group. They want to hang out and interact. They want to play a character but they want a simple character. They do not want to be constantly watching the board to figure out powers to activate or what tactical maneuvers would be best for the situation. What they want to do is stand still and hit things when there turn comes around.

That has to be catered for by the DM in any edition - the challenge has to be scaled down so as not to penalise social gamers. (and this is fine - scaling the challenge to suit the group just makes sense).

3e didn't especially suit social gaming, for that matter, but familiarity ups the comfort level a lot.

Having everything on the 4e sheet will still help anyone who choses to use a few of the 4e powers, while they won't hurt people who don't care about them.

Irda Ranger

First Post
ainatan said:
Who wouldn't want that kind of 'mobility' ?
Eladrin. They teleport further once every five minutes and don't get rat guts all over everything.

Fifth Element said:
I hope there's a section in the DMG on how to deal with players who try ridiculous things like this.
I give them XP.

WotC_Miko said:
*snerk* Here in the office we call it "a bag of kobold babies" and isn't it nice that there's a section in the DMG that discusses legitimate targets, to address exactly this kind of thing? ;)
Not unless you can explain it within the context of the game. Are the Fey Masters the Warlock has sworn his oath to not impressed with the Kobold babies?

Khaim said:
Anti-teleport magic better be common, or the world is doomed.
Why? Unconscious Eladrin can't teleport. Nor can they resist when you brand their foreheads or cut off their left hand.

I'm thinking that the police forces of D&D world have many creative ways of punishing ne'er-do-wells that can't be kept in prisons.

Rugger said:
We asked about the line-of-sight issue at our table (DM'd by Rob Heinsoo), and he confirmed that my Eladrin Ranger could NOT teleport through a closed door.
Oh, I see. The solution is to blindfold them.

All my quips aside, I would rule that you only get your 15' Teleport if your Fey Master is pleased with the death of your enemy. That makes sense within the context of the game and allows me (the DM) to rule out tricks like the Bag o' Rats.

hong

WotC's bitch
JuJutsu said:
I would hope that a tiger that intends to eat my character would qualify as an enemy and not just a predator going about its business.
I am sure that the universe, in its inscrutable wisdom and glory, would have contemplated the possibility that you would feel some sense of enmity towards that which wants to eat you and decided accordingly.

hong

WotC's bitch
AverageCitizen said:
Is this really funny to anyone else? I laughed so hard my math class thinks I'm crazy.
Yay, someone listened to me!

I declare my pee-pee love for AverageCitizen, although he'll still have to play second fiddle to my pee-pee love for Mearls. Gotta get your priorities right, you know.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads