• Concord Administrator

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other (post your idea/choice)

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 20 16.8%

oknazevad

Explorer
Anything but "warlord". That clearly means "murderous, illegitimate military power usurper". Never liked it as a class name, still think it's a poor choice. I voted for "marshal", "battle master" and other ("banneret" is fine, so's "captain").

But to be honest, I've always had something of a conceptual problem with the class from a narrative standpoint; a character with literally no experience (points) shouldn't be acting as a commander of the rest of the party. So I'm glad its closest 5e equivalents are fighter subclasses, as it's something a character should grow into, not be from the start.

If one really thinks about it, what is a "fighter"? Someone who fights, of course. But that doesn't just mean "someone who hits things", even if that's where they start. It means someone who learns the art of fighting as their specialty and stock in trade. So a fighter over time (that is, at increasing levels) should become better at fighting. It could be that they become better at dealing out damage themselves, or it could mean that they become better at reading a battle, and finding ways for they and their companions to become more effective as a fighting unit. Or they might find a way to supplement their fighting knowledge with other areas of learning, like magic.

That's what the three PHB fighter subclasses represent, with the Champion, Battle Master and Eldrich Knight respectively. I see no real reason for a separate Warlord class. 5e already has it covered narratively. There's certain aspects of the 4e class that are missing, but those can be approximated with feats. And no, I don't see that as a penalty. Again, I've always had a problem with what the warlord could do at the start; it should have a cost and take some time to build a character with that list of capabilities.

I read through the suggestions, but I think Captain still works the best. Part of it involves mindset and how your players tend to interpret the connotations. If your players have captain=military in their head, it wouldn't be the best choice. For the same reason, I won't use Warlord, because it makes me think of Genghis Khan (amongst other things). I can't mentally accept the idea of a warlord as anything less than a higher level despotic type.

Banneret (or Knight Banneret where appropriate) will work for me for now, since it's the official generic name for Purple Dragon Knight inspiring leader subclass. I'm probably not a good one to ask though, since, while I'm not opposed to a warlord class, I can't really mentally accept how one can cover enough space for it's own class rather than being a fighter archetype.

ZzarkLinux

First Post
I voted three options: Battle Master, Other, and Lemons

For Tactical Warlord, I really like Battle Master. IMO they wasted a good class name too early. Should've separated the "Battle Master" from the edition war and rolled it out at a later point.

For Inspiring Warlord, I would like to see Sensei. Yes, there would be a cultural group that may be offended. But DnD is historically Eurocentric, and we're all already offended anyway, so I'm gonna stir the pot in my favor.

The Warlord always derails discussion, and Lemon Curry always derails the Warlord. It's a nice consistent routine that I can easily recognize and makes me feel comfortable, like a nice warm coffee in the morning.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Other: Fighter. (as in, not a separate class at all).

Failing that: Warrior. (but it still alphabetizes under "war...", sorry)

Failing that: Champion. (still not a great name but better than what's there now - the whole "party leader" theme simply has to go)

Failing that: (can't think of a good name for it but something that points to the support elements of the class rather than the leader parts)

Lanefan

Ohillion

First Post
New here?

Actually, I must be because I don't know the lemon curry reference other than what instigated the long discourse about lemon curry being a non-answer or an answer against the warlord class. And...as I've only really participated in about 6 or 7 threads in the D&D forums, it's pretty safe to say I missed the original point of it altogether.

ZickZak

Explorer
Warlord is cool, but it could be better. Some synonym for it. Like Combatant... or Champion. Or a synonym for champion like Unbeaten or JOHN CENA !!!

Failing that: Champion. (still not a great name but better than what's there now - the whole "party leader" theme simply has to go)
"Champion" is not great because it implies exactly the opposite of the class. A champion is someone who fights on someone else's behalf.

Remove ads