• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlord, remixed from other classes.

mellored

Legend
I guess what I am typing is that it might be kinda cool to come up with a Flat Classes 5E. Just write out the class with a subclass and call it a class.

Assassin Class
Thief Class
Arcane Trickster Class.

Pros: MC Assassin Arcane Trickster!

Woot!

/end derail.

7 and 5 are a good change because Expertise at level 5 can fill in missing spots in the party. And PDK second wind might be more useful at lower levels. I think it is a fair trade considering a supporting role versus another attack. Which could be considered support in its own way.
Still not enough umph IMO

I considered trading 6 and 5 though. And maybe move 7 down to 2.
Maybe going...

2: PDK second wind, expertise
3: Combat Superiority
4: ABI
5: Font of Inspiration
6: Tactical Master.
7: Multi-Attack.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Whew! That IS a bit of a Franken-class, isn't it? My knee-jerk reaction is "too much stuff! She cannae take it, Cap'n!" However, on thinking about it more deeply, this could be thought of as exchanging full spellcasting for a "specialization" in Inspiration Dice with maneuvers and sharing your Fighter features. Which...still sounds over-full, but not as much as I'd originally felt.

It's got some potential. At the very least, one could take it and prune back specific features until an appropriate "skeleton" level of use is found, and then restore only parts of what was had in the form of subclasses. So, and I'm just purely spitballing here, perhaps the "base class" doesn't advance size or number of In/Sup dice, but does get the ability to refresh them with a short rest after a few levels into the class. And it gets the PDK second wind. Then you could have a subclass that specializes in using those dice (giving the "full" progression), or one that specializes in healing (getting bonuses and/or extensions to using SW on allies), but not both at once. All Warlords would thus have some amount of healing, and some amount of inspiring, but each individual would need to focus on one to do it "well."

Edit:
Of course, I'd prefer to have a few actually unique mechanics, rather than purely sticking to franken-welding the Warlordesque portions of other classes into a single chimeric construct. But this is an interesting way to investigate what a Warlord conceivably could do--and certainly provides a good "upper bound" for maximal ability. I would not want any "real" Warlord class to be any more powerful than this.

Last edited:

GreenTengu

Adventurer
This is probably the best version I have seen. Something needs to be done about the two different pools of dice. Maybe make it a single die pool and then give more of them than the Bard or Battlemaster gets (just have them increase by 1 roughly twice as often) since it is the class's primary mechanic.

I would probably also get rid of Multiattack and instead giving them the Life Cleric's "Preserve Life" Channel Divinity at roughly the same level the Cleric gets it. Just call it "Rallying Cry" or something and note that it grants temporary hit points if you absolutely must.

Give it D8 hit points, Light, Medium and Shield Proficiency, Simple and Martial Weapon proficiency, 3 Skills (may as well let the player choose whatever the like) and 2 Saving Throws (Maybe Constitution and Charisma?) and it is pretty much set.

Whew! That IS a bit of a Franken-class, isn't it? My knee-jerk reaction is "too much stuff! She cannae take it, Cap'n!" However, on thinking about it more deeply, this could be thought of as exchanging full spellcasting for a "specialization" in Inspiration Dice with maneuvers and sharing your Fighter features. Which...still sounds over-full, but not as much as I'd originally felt.

Well, if you look at it honestly and you were to really lay out each and every spell the Cleric or Bard are going to be able to use and note each time the frequency one can use the spell and the power of the spell increases, their power charts would look a LOT more busy than this. The class needs to be able to compete with those classes and I think you must have massively underestimated just how much utility and game effect power is contained in the spells that they gain. And, really, I am not sure this looks particularly busy compared to the Bard, Cleric and Druid level progression tables even before accounting for the vast amount of power and utility contained with being able to pick from a massive list of super powerful abilities they can use a limited number of times a day.

Last edited:

eirvandelden

First Post
I'm confused, what is the feature at level 6, Tactical Master? I can't find any feature or feat that is called this way.

Also, the feature on level 10 Battle Inspiration is called Combat Inspiration:p

Has anyone played this Frankenclass for the Warlord? This is the best version of the Warlord I've seen around.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I would probably also get rid of Multiattack ..
Give it D8 hit points, Light, Medium and Shield Proficiency, Simple and Martial Weapon proficiency, 3 Skills (may as well let the player choose whatever the like) and 2 Saving Throws (Maybe Constitution and Charisma?) and it is pretty much set.

Well, if you look at it honestly and you were to really lay out each and every spell the Cleric or Bard are going to be able to use and note each time the frequency one can use the spell and the power of the spell increases, their power charts would look a LOT more busy than this. The class needs to be able to compete with those classes and I think you must have massively underestimated just how much utility and game effect power is contained in the spells that they gain.
Starting a class design from one of the few extant non-caster options (typically BM, for instance), is going to miss just how wildly versatile/flexible casters tend to be. With a DPR class, that's not an issue, DPR is straightforward, but with a support-oriented class, it's a major consideration.

G

Guest 6801328

I want all the abilities of a Shadow Monk / Assassin / Bladelock rolled into one class, too.

Oh, and a pony. I definitely want a pony.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I want all the abilities of a Shadow Monk / Assassin / Bladelock rolled into one class, too.

Oh, and a pony. I definitely want a pony.

Hmm.. So unarmed attacker that has stealth and sneak attack abilities that can also cast spells.

So basically a ninja from Naruto. That could be done. Not sure it relates to this though.

And since any class can purchase a pony, there isn't an issue there either. You just take the tool use of Mounts (Land) as part of your background.

G

Guest 6801328

Hmm.. So unarmed attacker that has stealth and sneak attack abilities that can also cast spells.

I wasn't thinking the spells, actually. Just some of the Invocations. (Mage Armor + Unarmored Defense? Yes, please!). My wish list from each class:
Rogue: Expertise 1 & 2, Sneak Attack, Assassination, ASIs, Uncanny Dodge, Blindsense, Elusive. (I'd give up Stroke of Luck; after all I wouldn't want this mega-class to be OP!)
Shadow Monk: Unarmored Defense & Movement, Martial Arts, Ki, Slow Fall, Stunning Strike, Evasion, Deflect Missiles, Stillness of Mind, Diamond Soul, Perfect Self, and all Shadow Monk abilities.
Warlock: Invocations (Witch Sight, Armor of Shadows, One With Shadows, Witch Sight), Pact of the Blade

So basically a ninja from Naruto. That could be done. Not sure it relates to this though.

Sorry I just got excited thinking about a la carte character class design.

And since any class can purchase a pony, there isn't an issue there either. You just take the tool use of Mounts (Land) as part of your background.

Sweet! And a pony. This character would rock.

Remove ads