ways to increase BAB other other than leveling

Valicor

First Post
If your playign a 2 year campaign, jsut make a one tiem excaption, it isn't goign to through your entire multi-verse into a knot. I'm sure you probally have more then one pC who got messed up in soem way or another, and maybe even a few npc's?

Just make an exception for the characters that where made long before epci came out. Any new characters, can be made, with the rules under consideration. Right?

wallshot said:

They dont call it BAB after level 20. It becomes an epic bonus to attack. That way it doesnt conflict with the BAB extra attacks rule.
If U read my earlier post in this thread it explains why they did it that way.

I get it now. In that case I would have to say he is SOL. If he wanted to be that good in a fight, he should have invested his first 20 levels in combatant classes. Granted, we didn't know two years ago that epic level would cap off the number of attacks you could make, but two years ago we didn't even know epic would ever exist.

Every core class is 1 BAB away from a extra attack at 20th level. It would be as dissapointing for them as any multi-classer. If you want to let him get it, I would follow Crothian's advice, or give a one time BAB bonus to everyone at 21st level, to make things fair.

LordAO

First Post
I think it's stupid the way they did attack bonuses and saves in the ELH, because now everyone is worrying about having this combination of levels in that order, unfairly screwing people who make the "mistake" of getting this class at this level instead of that one. All it does is give power players another wepon in their arsenal and leads them further down the road to min/maxing obsession. In the mean time, those who actually care about their character and things like roleplaying get screwed by the rules into having a suckier character. Why should my attack bonus and all of my saves be one point lower (an yes that does matter) because im a Wiz 12/ War Wizard5/ Archmage 5 and i got the extra 2 levels of Wiz after 20th level. If i had got 12th lev wizard before lev 20 and only lev 4 in the other classes my attack and saves would all be 1 pt higher. Its the exact same combination of levels and the exact same character. Why should i be punished because of the order i got those classes?! So if somebody wants to give their characters the benefit of the doubt, I say get over it.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Since he can cast wish, at an exp point cost, he could cast enough wishes to cause him to lose a level (raising attributes, creating a ring of three wishes, whatever). He can then take his next level as Ranger and get that BAB he wants, and he has the benefit from casting all those wishes.

Jalkain

First Post
LordAO said:
I think it's stupid the way they did attack bonuses and saves in the ELH, because now everyone is worrying about having this combination of levels in that order, unfairly screwing people who make the "mistake" of getting this class at this level instead of that one. All it does is give power players another wepon in their arsenal and leads them further down the road to min/maxing obsession.

Yep, even more posts with things like 'My Sorceror is getting Prestige Class x at 6th level, and Prestige Class y at 10th level, and I would like Haste, but I'm waiting for Mass Haste at 12th level, etc, etc, etc.'

And then you find out that he's still rolling the stats for his 1st level character...

LordAO

First Post
With all due respect, my post is arguing against that kind of number gaming! The way the ELH does things only encourages it, which is why I don't like it!

doktorstick

First Post
LordAO said:
...unfairly screwing people who make the "mistake" of getting this class at this level instead of that one. All it does is give power players another wepon in their arsenal and leads them further down the road to min/maxing obsession. In the mean time, those who actually care about their character and things like roleplaying get screwed by the rules into having a suckier character...Its the exact same combination of levels and the exact same character. Why should i be punished because of the order i got those classes?! So if somebody wants to give their characters the benefit of the doubt, I say get over it.
The tone of your post does not suggest that you care about the development of your character, but rather you also are trying to min/max, or rather complaining that you are forced to min/max to have a less "suckier" character. I say get over it. Those who "actually care...and things like roleplaying" are going to have a more "suckier" character because they didn't dump their least vital scores (like charasima).

Actually, what your post does sound like is that you min/maxed and are now upset that you didn't have enough foresight to know that BABs were not going to work the same. And now your buddy is laughing at you because he has a slight edge.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Email and messages come out flat and the tone often gets lost.

/ds

kreynolds

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Since he can cast wish, at an exp point cost, he could cast enough wishes to cause him to lose a level (raising attributes, creating a ring of three wishes, whatever).

You can't spend so much XP creating a magic item that you would lose a level. If you don't have enough XP to spend without losing a level, you can't make the item.

Killing him would be easier, though it certainly isn't a solution to the problem, and the ELH is not the problem.

Last edited:

doktorstick

First Post
kreynolds said:
Killing him would be easier...
I thought the general consensus was that you couldn't select different feats, choose different skill point allocation, raise a different attribute, or re-roll HP when you gained a level? If I recalled correctly, why would you allow a different class?

Given that I am wrong, I am certain that the general concensus that HP are not re-rolled. I suspose you could scale (up or down) the current hit die and assume he gained/lost that much with his new class.

/ds

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Things are set the way they are to keep the characters balanced in combat. If you start giving classes more attacks then they were meant to have, you are going to start imbalancing things in combat.

If combat is really important in your game, I would let him rethink a choice he made in the past, but I wouldn't break the rules.

If it isn't I would give* him a minor artifact that raised his BAB by one.

I would do one of those things. I don't know if they are wise choices....

--Epic Spikey

*give = allow him to go on a rather long quest to find.

Remove ads