• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WCIII Demon Hunter

Aries

First Post
So finally I managed to finish it, my version of the Demon Hunter from WCIII. A great game by the way. Please comment.

ASHANOR (Hunter of Shadows)

Elven legends tell of the first Hunter of Shadows; the fighter/mage Ceridan Moonwhisper and the struggle between Ceridan and the great demon lord Malsorath. Legend has it that Malsorath had prepared for this doom, working magic to curse whoever destroyed him with the burden of his own dark soul. The demon lord’s curse was strong, and not even the blessings of Corellon could free Ceridan. The priests warned him that the demon lord’s soul would eventually overcome his own, and that death was the only escape. Weary from the great struggle with the demon, Ceridan nonetheless knew that he could not give in to death while the Elves still needed the protection of his sword. He left his people, vowing that although darkness might overtake him, its power would never. The legend tells that Ceridan yet remains, hanging between life and undeath by will alone, struggling to serve people even as the taint of Malicath decays his spirit. Deep in the Great Forest, he wanders using the blight of demonic magic against the other evils of the world, using the tools of darkness to keep his people safe.

Little is know about the Hunters. The Hunters are dark, shadowy warriors who are shunned by society. They made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of darkness using its own terrible powers against it. Like elves they are elusive foes, preferring to use swiftness and devastating attacks rather than brute force. These mysterious warriors ritually blind themselves so that they develop spectral sight that enables them to see demons and undead with greater clarity. They wield demonically charged War Blades in battle and even call upon demonic energies to augment their formidable combat skills. Usually alone, they battle evil, often taking the fight to powerful evil creatures. Although they are counted as some of the mightiest warriors, the Hunters are always maligned and misunderstood for making their selfless pact with darkness.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Hunter of shadows, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Lawful.
Race: Any.
Base Attack: +6
Feats: Ambidextrous, Blind-sight 5’, Exotic weapon (War Blade), Two-weapon fighting.
Skills: Concentration 4+ ranks, Knowledge (planes) 4+ ranks and Tumble 4+ ranks
Special: Must find a Hunter and survive the Ritual. It is in the final stages of the Ritual that the would-be Hunter is blinded.

The Hunter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (planes), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Hunter of Shadows:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Hunter of Shadows gains no weapon or armor proficiencies. If the Hunter of Shadows uses any armor; he loses all his special abilities. A Hunter of Shadows suffers the normal arcane spell failure chance when casting spells while armored. The favored weapon of the Hunters is a weapon called a War Blade. It is a crescent shaped sword, grasped in the middle. The War Blade functions like a one-handed double weapon. War Blade: Medium exotic weapon, damage: 1d6/1d6, critical range: 20 X2.

Dathedi (Ex): At 1st level the Hunter of Shadows gains a bonus to AC equal to his Wisdom bonus, when fighting unarmored. This Wisdom bonus represents a preternatural awareness of danger, and a Hunter does not loose it even in situations when he looses his Dexterity modifier due to being unprepared, ambushed, stunned or so on.

Spectral Sight (Su): At 1st level the Hunter of Shadows gain the ability to “see” into the netherworld, the world where undead and demons reside. In effect, this means that a Hunter can “see” demons and undead clearly even though they are invisible or ethereal.

Blind-sight 15’ (Ex): At the 2nd level the Hunter’s blind-sight range increases to 15 feet. His senses extend in a 15’ radius. Invisibility and darkness are irrelevant. Hunters do not need make Spot checks to notice creatures within range.

Demon’s Wrath (Su): At 3rd level, a Hunter’s War Blade is empowered by demonic energies and as such glows with an ethereal light. The strike from the War Blade can deal damage to a demon or undead with damage reduction, such as a Wight, as if the weapon has a +1 enchantment bonus. The demonic energies infusing the weapon increases as the Hunter gains experience, allowing the Hunter at 6th level to damage demons or undead with damage reduction as if the weapon had a +2 enchantment bonus, and at 9th level to deal damage as if the War Blade has a +3 enchantment bonus.

Immolation (Sp): At the 3rd level the Hunter’s mastery of dark powers allows him to create a fiery shell around his body that inflicts damage on nearby enemies. A demon or an undead striking the Hunter deals normal damage, however at the same time the attacker suffers 1d6+ 1/Hunter level points of damage. If the creature has spell resistance, it applies to this damage. The effect can be used for a number of rounds equal to the Hunter’s level plus his Wisdom modifier a day.

Absolute Ambidexterity (Ex): At the 6th level the Hunter of Shadows develops such a skill wielding his War Blades that he reduces the attack penalties when attacking with two weapons by 2. Note: This ability only applies when fighting with two War Blades.

Inner armor (Ex): At the 4th level the Hunter gains a + 2 insight bonus to AC. This bonus increases to + 4 at 8th level.

Demon’s Touch (Su): At 10th level, a Hunter applies his Wisdom bonus as an additional bonus to all saving throws against effects and spells used by demons and undead. Thus, the Hunter ads double his Wisdom bonus to Will saving throws.

Level
BAB Fortitude Reflex Will Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +2 Dathedi, Spectral Sight
2 +2 +3 +3 +3 Blind-sight 15’
3 +3 +3 +3 +3 Demon’s Wrath (+1), Immolation
4 +4 +4 +4 +4 Inner armor (+2)
5 +5 +4 +4 +4
6 +6 +5 +5 +5 Absolute Ambidexterity, Demon’s Wrath (+2)
7 +7 +5 +5 +5
8 +8 +6 +6 +6 Inner armor (+4)
9 +9 +6 +6 +6 Demon’s Wrath (+3)
10 +10 +7 +7 +7 Demon’s Touch

las

First Post
Looks good do they keep there standerd sight as well for they will not see to well exept for 15 feet all around them.

Aries

First Post
I am not sure what you mean by standard sight, but what I mean is that within 15' they would use their blind-sight to "see", beyond 15' they can only see demons and undead, with regard to other creatures they are for all purposes blind. This is a severe limitation, but I felt that it was necessary to balance the class.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
If this is supposed to be the WCIII demon hunter, the alignment should probably be any Chaotic instead of lawful. The point of the demon hunter story arc was that the demon hunter abandoned the laws and traditions of his people in order to track down the demons. He also would pay any price for power to oppose the demons--including his essence. This kind of single minded focus on a goal to the exclusion of all standards of tradition and decency is more suited to chaotic than lawful characters--much more Tritherion than St. Cuthbert or Pholtus.

BTW, what's a warblade? I'd figure that the weapon the demon hunter used was a funny looking double sword.

On Balance:
The prereqs are also excessive if you actually want a character to take the class. Blindsight requires wis 19+. This character is designed for a melee focussed character--and those (except for monks) gain little from wisdom. And monks are masters of unarmed combat--not double sword combat--in truth, they don't gain much from this pclass. If you made blindsight a 2nd level ability and moved the improved blindsight to 5th or 6th level, it will make much more sense for fighters and rangers (favored enemy demon) which is more what I see the demon hunter as anyway.

Aries

First Post
Point well taken about the alignment, you are absolutely right.

Regarding the weapon, the War Blade is a single-handed double weapon akin to the crescent knife, except it inflicts 1d6/1d6 points of damage.

As to the prereqs you are quite right, they are excessive. The thing is that I went for rather powerful abilities for the class, and to balance it I made the prereqs high. I am still trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that they cannot see, and then again they can with the "spectral sight".

Epametheus

First Post
Hmm...

Blindsight fits, yet having it is a rather harsh pre-req... Also, the DH actually has fairly good defensive abilities. How about making Expertise a pre-req feat, and switching Spectral Sight & Blindsight 15'?

You might also expand the blindsight area a couple times during the course of the class, finishing in the 45' to 60' range.

Now, let's see here... I take it that you'd rather not tackle Manaburn or Dark Metamorphisis?

Now, Immolation. What you've got right there is Fire Shield as a spell-like power. Perhaps it should be messier...

Immolation (Su): Tapping the unholy energies that are at the core of an Ashanor's abilities, the Hunter of Shadows is surrounded by a shell of all-consuming eldritch fire. Undead and Evil Outsiders take full damage from these flames, regardless of fire resistance/immunity/protection. Other creatures may shield themselves normally. Immolation deals up to 1d6 damage per Ashanor level to creatures within 5' of the hunter; it deals half that amount to anything another 5' beyond that. The Ashanor decides how many dice worth of damage he wishes to inflict per round, and takes 1 point per die per round while the power is active. Activating or deactivating Immolation is a free action, but each activation deals 3d6 damage to the Ashanor.

How's that?

clark411

First Post
while I love the WCIII Demon Hunter, I think that there's still some balancing to be done with it as you've written it.

In exchange for failing all spot checks outside of 15', and some other nuisance problems that often are negated by players (despite being blind, I don't hit coffee tables with my shins because I'm a hero.. heck, even if I do, DnD forgives me with no damage or harm to me.)

he gets the best saves, the highest base attack bonus, monk wis ac bonus, additional natural armor bonus, and a paladinesque save bonus to his already huge saves (vs demons, but still), not to mention a tempestish two weapon fighting feat.

Personally, I'd lower the reflex saves, create a list of blindness penalties / suggestions, and remove some of the abilities or lower the bab to monk/rogue if you plan to keep the saves so high and give monkish/paladinish bonuses. this is keeping in mind that in your average DnD campaign, demon fights are neither as common as they are in a Warcraft one, nor that they fall out of the sky in comets.

dead_radish

Explorer
You said the war blade is a one handed double weapon. Then you say that a demon hunter must be using two war blades.

So are they using two double weapons, for a total of 4 attacks each round, plus iterative attacks? At only a -4 penalty?

I'm gonna go find me some war blades. ;)

That's a big big bonus. And one accessible to anyone, not just demon hunters....

Last edited:

Remove ads