We need more feats like Endurance and Skill Focus

nharwell

Explorer
EOL said:

Pehaps this is what upsets me it seems that the majority of the prestige classes coming out, both from WoTC and independent D20 publishers have made it so that there's no disadvantage to taking the PrC. 3E was suppossed to be about hard choices and that seems to be getting less and less true as we see more and more Prestige classes that are what the character would have done anyway and add some powers on top of that.

Well, I do agree with you in some respects. There seems to be some power inflation in the newer products (mostly 3rd party). However, although I don't care for the class books for other reason, in general the PrC's aren't unbalanced (with some notable exceptions). MOTW in particular requires some hard choices for players -- only two PrCs give normal spell progression and they both have other costs. This is a notable change from those in Tome & Blood -- or even worse, Magic of Faerun (where I have issues with most of the PrCs).

EOL

First Post
Number47 said:
This is why I have been advocating, shall continue to advocate, and continue to practice in my campaign: core rules only!

I don't know if I have the time to do everything, but I have become wary enough of splatbooks and 3rd party stuff that if something isn't in the core rule books I have to explicitly sign off on it before it can be used in play or taken by a character. It's surprising how much of that stuff needs to be modified in some fashion or another.

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Zerovoid said:
I haven't seen anyone take any of the Divine feats from DotF. There are also a ton of throw-away feats in S&F. Dirty Fighting anyone? +1d4 damage, but your single attack is a full round action?

Hi Zerovoid,

just had to answer to this. Our cleric just virtually bathes in the divine feats from DotF and so far they were really cool (admittedly the Cha 18 helps .) Dirty fighting - our Barbarian uses it, just for the mood of his char. other examples: the rogue with chink in the armor. the illusionist with the running feat (ok, i am a coward .) ) and so on...

what i want to say is, that some feats are just plain cool, regardless of the effect they give.

Dougal DeKree, Gnomish Illusionist

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Skywalker said:
Fading Suns d20 adds a lot of social feats, some are not particularly powerful but do a lot to flesh out PCs.

Fading Suns d20's social feats are great, because

a) they aren't too powerful
b) they help defining the character
c) and most important, they favor roleplaying over combat! The players with social feats tend to search 'social' situations, and enjoy them more.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: I-M-H-O, of course.

Chronosome said:
My "feat-peeve" was with Spring Attack, as it further cements Dexterity as the "super-score", and combines really, really well with better-than-normal movement.

Spring Attack isn't really that bad. Even if you're facing a monk with boots of striding and springing (combined move up to 100 ft or 180 ft depending on whether you believe the Sage), a readied attack with a reach weapon does nicely to negate it. If you're facing 4 characters all with SA you're in trouble, but you'd be in trouble regardless.

EOL

First Post
The more I think about it my feat-peeve is whirlwind. Yeah it takes a huge number of feats to get (though if you're playing a fighter it's pretty easy) but with the possible exception of dodge all the feats are really useful. In addition whirlwind is much more powerful with a large weapon, even though in reality you would think you'd need a smaller, lighter weapon to pull it off.

Chronosome

First Post
Re: Re: I-M-H-O, of course.

hong said:

Spring Attack isn't really that bad.

Oh, I agree. In my post I was saying Spring Attack tended to
dominate my combats because of the way I ran them. I've since
"mixed it up" a little more to dampen Spring Attack's all-purpose-ness. :)

Last edited:

Chronosome

First Post
EOL said:
The more I think about it my feat-peeve is whirlwind.

One of my players has Whirlwind, and rarely has an opportunity
to use it...to do so he has to maneuver into the center of a bunch
of baddies...and he's more rogue than fighter, so he's afraid of
getting crushed.

He's had the technique available to him for a few levels but
because of the wacky combats he's been in lately (two huge iron
spiders, a single monk on a web of glass, a pack of winter wolves
in deep, hard-to-move in snow), he doesn't get to use it often.

So, my point is...how powerful is it if he doesn't use it all the time?

:)

(It's funny...because of his "whirlwind technique" and preferred
weapon--the scythe--Jaer the Shadowdancer is known as
"the Harvester". ;) )

Last edited:

Deadguy

First Post
Harvester?

(It's funny...because of his "whirlwind technique" and preferred weapon--the scythe--Jaer the Shadowdancer is known as "the Harvester".
I feel kinda sorry for Jaer*! If I were him I'd really want to be "The Reaperman" :)

*Maybe it's also because there's a chain of pub restaurants in Britain called "Harvester", so the name has the wrong connotations for me. :D

Remove ads