D&D 5E We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Different mediums. People accept more curated lists of options in video games because they’re inherently limited in scope. And even then people are modding more character build options into the game. But D&D doesn’t have the same restrictions. Anything is possible, so people are less tolerant of being told they’re not allowed to do something.

Charlaquin

I think we'd see some problems with the content of the campaign itself. Have you ever seen a thirstier D&D campaign where almost every important NPC is set on nailing the PC? In Act 1 of the BG, you come across a bugbear raw dogging an ogress which is something I can scarcely imagine happening in a published D&D adventure these days.
Published being the key phrase there. I can absolutely imagine that happening in a home game. Obviously it would require the right group, but I definitely know plenty of people who are open to sexual content in their D&D games. Baldur’s Gate 3 also has the advantage of being able to include that content without having to roleplay it in front of (or with) three to five other people you personally know and and likely aren’t actually attracted to.

Stormonu

Legend
I've actually picked up some good DMing tips from BG3, especially in the area of openness and incorporating terrain into battles. I've been gobsmacked by the DCs for many things in the games and been trying to vary them in my own game instead of shooting for everything to be DC 15 for any task.

Over the years I have noticed a phrase "player entitlement" thrown around.

My tastes last few years gave been themed games. Stuff that doesn't fit is excluded. According to the forums that's bad wrong fun.

BG3 has been a big hit. But consider.

Curated list of phb options.
PHB races plus Githyanki only. DM changed them as well.
Capped at level 12
Only floating ability scores from Tashas.
No feats at level 1 allowed.
Curated list of Xanathars options.

Game like that would get you crucified here on the forums since I'm a tyrannical LN type DM.

Next game will be magitech themed (warforged and gear forged prominent) or Norse (add bearfolk and troll kin as prominent races).

Damn Lawful types DM's. That BG one is brutal.

I want to exclude most of Tashas.
I don’t think you are correct about getting crucified here at least. I feel EnWorld supports bespoke game worlds where not everything is allowed.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Over the years I have noticed a phrase "player entitlement" thrown around.
Yep. And 99.99% of the time, as soon as it is, I know I can ignore what a person has to say about that topic. Because in the vast majority of cases, it is used to dismiss legitimate concerns and to

Game like that would get you crucified here on the forums since I'm a tyrannical LN type DM.
Nope. And the fact that you think it would is quite telling.

Next game will be magitech themed (warforged and gear forged prominent) or Norse (add bearfolk and troll kin as prominent races).
And notice: you got tons of positive response. Including from me. Sincere questions, people engaging with the topic and considering what stuff meant, probing the setting to learn about its texture, asking about tone and intent. Where was your prophesied crucifixion? Where were the horrible entitled players who were so ready to tear your apart for daring to make choices as a DM?

They weren't there. Because, in most cases, "player entitlement" is a myth.

Damn Lawful types DM's. That BG one is brutal.

Zardnaar, I'm gonna be real with you.

It isn't your claimed "Lawful" approach that would make me question you as a DM. It is your posting history and the ways I have seen you engage with various topics over the years we have been posting on the same forums.

Charlaquin

I've actually picked up some good DMing tips from BG3, especially in the area of openness and incorporating terrain into battles. I've been gobsmacked by the DCs for many things in the games and been trying to vary them in my own game instead of shooting for everything to be DC 15 for any task.
It convinced me that bonus action potions are probably a good idea.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Or massively supported by other DMs, such as myself and every DM I've ever known.

The player is a visitor in the DM's world. Players can certainly offer suggestions, which the DM may or may not adapt, but ultimately it is the DM's choice---they do most of the work afterall.

Players who don't like it should either learn to live with it or find another DM.

Go for it! We don't use it hardly at all. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads