D&D 5E We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I became aware of "healing potions: bonus action for self, full action to feed someone" primarily when I watched Critical Role. I'm sure it existed at tables and in material before that. So I wasn't shocked to see it in BG3.
Oh, I knew it was a very common and popular house rule. I just didn’t think it was a good one. BG3 changed my mind by showing me an example of it used to really good effect.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep. And 99.99% of the time, as soon as it is, I know I can ignore what a person has to say about that topic. Because in the vast majority of cases, it is used to dismiss legitimate concerns and to

Nope. And the fact that you think it would is quite telling.

And notice: you got tons of positive response. Including from me. Sincere questions, people engaging with the topic and considering what stuff meant, probing the setting to learn about its texture, asking about tone and intent. Where was your prophesied crucifixion? Where were the horrible entitled players who were so ready to tear your apart for daring to make choices as a DM?

They weren't there. Because, in most cases, "player entitlement" is a myth.

Zardnaar, I'm gonna be real with you.

It isn't your claimed "Lawful" approach that would make me question you as a DM. It is your posting history and the ways I have seen you engage with various topics over the years we have been posting on the same forums.

I was making a bit of a joke about the tyrant part.

Reason I included LN is the consequences are on the player. If they screw up I don't softball the results. RAW unless it's covered in session 0.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've actually picked up some good DMing tips from BG3, especially in the area of openness and incorporating terrain into battles. I've been gobsmacked by the DCs for many things in the games and been trying to vary them in my own game instead of shooting for everything to be DC 15 for any task.

I've known about that stuff since the 90s.

Terrains doable including things like height but it makes the DMs job a lot harder or slower at least. Adventures like Tallows Deep and Labyrinth of Madness incorporated it.

I like encumbrance rules in BG3 and Fallout 4. You Don't pay to much attention irl though as the computer does the hard work.

Crafting is another popular video game pastime. Pen and paper not so much was more common in 2E for me.

Players would ask about crafting stuff or making magic items.

MGibster

Legend
Which is a huge part of BG3's success. Let the player actually drive the adventure, and play a character of their choosing, instead of 'Oh you have a choice, as long as its heroic.'
You're not just whistling Dixie, my friend. One of the things I really like about BG3 is all the choices I have not only with what I do but how I do it. How many D&D computer games have we had where some of the minor spells like Charm Person actually did any good? But the inclusion of slavery in D&D is something of a hot topic these days with some vehemently opposed to it in any form. And in BG3 we have slavery and the PCs can make some horrendous decisions regarding the treatment of those people. If such things were options in a campaign released by WotC today, it would be controversial.

Scribe

Legend
If such things were options in a campaign released by WotC today, it would be controversial.

Controversial to say the least, it would never happen these days.

They're fairly typical of computer RPGS but rather atypical for D&D.

Which is interesting and sad, that the potential of the medium, the art form if you will, is so shackled due to social media.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Nope. And the fact that you think it would is quite telling
I mean, it’s not like there haven’t been those discussions here on enworld, hell, ive been part of some of them (though on the side of curation)

And then they pull out “But why couldn’t I be an X in your world? It’s fantasy right? It’d be so easy for you to just slip in a village right over here or they could be from overseas..., don’t you want me to have any fun in your campaign?” and it makes you sound like the unreasonable one when you tell them no, you can’t be one of those, there aren’t going to be any in my setting, please pick something from the list I provided of actually included options

But like has been said, that’s online in forums not IRL

Zardnaar

Legend
Controversial to say the least, it would never happen these days.

Which is interesting and sad, that the potential of the medium, the art form if you will, is so shackled due to social media.

I think things go in cycles. Other media gas things like slavery. Broadly speaking it's mostly online stuff storm in a teacup.

Bad things happen in other media and we've seen D&D change course before eg 2E and 3.0 "bringing it back".

New fans age into old fans.

If money is on the line they will pivot. See Curse of Strahd which pushed the boundaries (cannibalism, dead children, Strahds essentially an obsessed stalker).

Ok so if Matt Mercer was my dm and said we are running what is essentially Bg3 I’m all in

My previous dm was always restrictive in his homebrew world. There were no gnomes tiefling or Dragonborn and we usually always run a low magic item world plus most of our campaigns end around level 12
I would love this world. To be honest I think I’ve literally only gotten a kiss in a campaign (might have been a pay for brothel once)and even that’s rare and I’ve been playing a long time
I do wish goblin had been an option (fingers crossed) it’s a dlc
There are so many things I would add and will add into future encounters/house rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads