• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weapons You Miss

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
5e is great, don't get me wrong. In simplifying things, though, the weapon list was reduced significantly from earlier editions. Some of the weapons (like broadswords, many polearms, dire flails, etc.) were deservedly put on the chopping block, but there are others that are missed.

So, my EN Fam, what weapons from earlier editions that aren't in 5e do you miss the most?

For me, it's garrotes, scythes, long spears, whip-daggers, bolas, chakram, repeating crossbows, and specialty arrows (sheaf, flight, et al.).

Weiley31

Legend
Well there are a number of weapons I do miss from prior editions that aren't in 5E. Whip Swords and Bastard Swords in particular. So it stinks that a number of them aren't in. Although, on the other hand, a number of said weapons can be easily handled by 5E's refluffing encouragement and adding a few properties onto them.

A Whip Sword is just a refluffed Longsword with the Reach property. The two bladed sword, ala Darth Maul, is a refluffed Quarter Staff that does Slashing damage instead of Blunt. Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E makes the Broadsword into a Longsword with the Finesse property. The Katana is both a refluffed Longsword and a refluffed Longsword with Finesse. The Elven Thin/Curve Blade is a refluffed Rapier, same with the Saber. A Katar/Scalpel is a refluffed Dagger. The Chain Whip is a Whip that does Piercing damage. Etc, etc, etc.

That being said, I do wish there were more options. Which is where I become a bit "blasphemous" in that regard by using this handy website to get weapon ideas and their damage die.

Yeah I get it's a website that is for Pathfinder 1E/2E, but its weapons listing is EXACTLY what I like and reminds me a lot about 3.0/3.5's Exotic Weapons. And just by viewing a number of the weapons statistics, you can pretty much see what the listed Damage Die would be as well as its traits.

So for example, a Bladed Scarf is basically a Flail with the Reach property. A Battle Lute would be a Club with the Versatile Property and probably something towards Performance. Also looking for Monk Weapon ideas? That website is full of good ideas like the War Fan and the Monk Spade.

Also an aside: I also like using that website to see which weapons are considered *Heritage Weapons for various races in regards to Weapon Familiarity. Really dig that.*

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well there are a number of weapons I do miss from prior editions that aren't in 5E. Whip Swords and Bastard Swords in particular. So it stinks that a number of them aren't in. Although, on the other hand, a number of said weapons can be easily handled by 5E's refluffing encouragement and adding a few properties onto them.
Oh, I agree that we should use refluffing and "counts as" whereever possible.

That said, I'm curious about why so many miss the bastard sword when the 5e longsword is a bastard sword in all but name.

I thin one of the things that hold the tranlation of weapons down is that 5e doesn't have most of the combat maneuvers (that were in 2e—via The Complete Fighter's Handbook) and 3e. Instead, it seems that adding such features requires giving bespoke rules to weapons in question.

Horwath

Legend
I do not miss any weapon specifically, as I can take any weapon and compare it to some weapon in PHB and give it that damage and special features.

One thing that PHB is missing is weapon design table.

Give weapon base damage and just list properties and how much certain property reduces/increases base damage so weapons can be balanced.

I did that table for myself, but it would be nice to see "official" table.

I think what I really miss is that in previous editions, the "design space" for weapons was vastly, and I do mean vastly deeper/broader than it is with 5E.

In previous editions, weapons could have really different properties, and things like Exotic Weapon Proficiencies and Proficiencies which let you wield weapons in different ways vastly expanded what could be done with weapons.

With 5E, Feats are out as a default, so that's all out, and the weapon design space itself is a hell of a lot narrower, with weapons having far fewer properties (like no crit range, narrower range of dice actually used, far, far fewer bonuses/penalties, etc.). Damage type also matters less in 5E than almost any editions.

It's not wholly a bad thing - it's made the game a hell of a lot easier to balance and less of a ridiculous journey in terms of the weapons a lot of PCs wield, but I do miss the much greater design space allocated to weapons in earlier editions (even stuff like RC D&D or 2E had a bigger design-space than 5E, I'd argue).

Specific weapons I can take or leave, but there being more weapons, more approaches, even if not all of them are truly viable, I really enjoyed (despite largely playing PCs who used "normal" weapons).

Though I do love a good Bec de Corbin.
Although, on the other hand, a number of said weapons can be easily handled by 5E's refluffing encouragement and adding a few properties onto them.
This is true, but 5E can't handle it, because with the lack of Feats, or any other way to mechanically control this, and limited design space, you just end up making objectively superior weapons.

Undrave

Legend
Damage type also matters less in 5E than almost any editions.
4e didn't make any distinction between Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning and I don't think it really mattered removed anything. But it did give special feats to groups of weapons like 'axe' and 'light blade' etc. and some powers gave you bonuses based on the weapon family you used. You also had 'Rattling' and 'Invigorating' keywords (that were triggered by the Intimidate and Endurance skill, respectively) that I could see being integrated into weapon properties.
With 5E, Feats are out as a default, so that's all out, and the weapon design space itself is a hell of a lot narrower, with weapons having far fewer properties (like no crit range, narrower range of dice actually used, far, far fewer bonuses/penalties, etc.)
We're getting a whole Caster centric setting, so I think it would be cool to have a Martial centric setting. My best idea for that would be one with giant monsters you need to climb, Shadow of the Colossus style, to be able to expose their weak spots and open them up to the rest of the party. Then, you can use those giant monsters' remains to craft exotic weapons and armors with new properties, in a Monster Hunter style!

Just go with @Garthanos 's idea of a custom weapon making table. Bring back properties like 'brutal' or 'high grit'. With the number of properties you can stack (including weapon dice manipulation as any additional property would bring the dice down one step) making it harder to craft with the risk of ruining your material if you fail.

One thing that a lot of depth to the weapons tables allow is that it MATTERS what weapon you wield, and different weapons could lead to different play styles and switching weapon mid-fight would actually be a tactically impactful decision beyond the boring range/melee binary. Maybe certain weapons give you a bonus to attempting to trip someone up, others let you grapple them (whip type for exemple), and some just give you a +1 to hit, etc.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My best idea for that would be one with giant monsters you need to climb, Shadow of the Colossus style, to be able to expose their weak spots and open them up to the rest of the party. Then, you can use those giant monsters' remains to craft exotic weapons and armors with new properties, in a Monster Hunter style!
Ikoria could work for that. Kaiju!

In my Islands World setting, there are ancient temples that are living constructs, and sometimes they get taken over by evil spirits.

One thing that a lot of depth to the weapons tables allow is that it MATTERS what weapon you wield, and different weapons could lead to different play styles and switching weapon mid-fight would actually be a tactically impactful decision beyond the boring range/melee binary. Maybe certain weapons give you a bonus to attempting to trip someone up, others let you grapple them (whip type for exemple), and some just give you a +1 to hit, etc.
This was deliberately moved away from in 5e, there they focused more on the capabilities of the user rather than their weapon.
The issue with having a best weapon for the job is that you are penalised for using any other weapon for that, even one that would thematically fit your character more.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
What weapon do I miss?

Why, the GLAIVE of course.

A_glaive.jpg

Oh, wait. The D&D glaive was a ... pole arm? Yet another pole arm?

.....nevermind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads