Weekend Nonsense: Favorite Bad RPG

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Marauder 2107, Witchcraft, Nephilim, Legacy: War of Ages, Hong Kong Action Theatre...if you were an indie RPG studio in the late 90's, early oughts...I'm one of the three guys who bought your book and tried to get people to play it.

EDIT: Add to the list: Albedo and Justifiers. And this isn't even getting into the games with cult status like Amber: Diceless Roleplaying, Torg, or more "mainstream" products like just about anything made by Steve Jackson Games, ICE, Chaosium, FASA, or White Wolf, lol.

Heck, I can pile a lot of TSR games on the list like Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Boot Hill, Dragonlance SAGA, and the Amazing Engine games...not to mention this cobbled together fantasy game with ten thousand supplements...there were two versions published simultaneously in the 90's and competing against each other...man, what was the name of it...

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
For me, it is Shadowrun. The setting is wonderful, and I loved the metaplot and the 4rth wall breaking with the books being sprinkled by chats between people in the game, but the rules... Let's just say they have always left a lot to be desired.

edit: and if I were to run it again, well it would most likely be 2e.
Characterizing one of the most popular RPGs ever published as "bad" is definitely a take.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Senzar. Mechanically, it doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets. It is very 90s from a design standpoint, but not bad. From a content standpoint, though? Whoooooooah! It's over the top power creep madness (i.e. the only supplement ever published for the game stats out gods that PCs are meant to kill in single combat). Mork Bork is a mere pretender to the throne of most metal RPG ever. Senzar reigns supreme!

niklinna

satisfied?
Marauder 2107, Witchcraft, Nephilim, Legacy: War of Ages, Hong Kong Action Theatre...if you were an indie RPG studio in the late 90's, early oughts...I'm one of the three guys who bought your book and tried to get people to play it.
Oh Nephilim, how I would have loved to play thee....with a system that had a hope of fulfilling the fantasy. Really cool mythos and backstory too.

Oh hey that reminds me! Immortal: The Invisible War. Amazingly bad art. Intriguing-as-heck dice pool system. Really weird mythos and backstory. Would have liked to kick the tires on that one for the system.

Remove ads