"Weenie List" of Ubiquitous & Popular Magic Items

James McMurray

First Post
In order to have any kind of special enchantment, a weapon must also have a +1 minimum enhancement bonus. Thus the cheapest keen weapon you can get is 8,350gp for a +1 Keen.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
How about Hewards Handy Haversack for 2000gp?

Who needs a potion belt?
Who needs Quickdraw that club, or mace, or bow...

Anything you want, there it is as a free action.

And speaking of clubs, everyone can use them and they are dandy throwing weapons (10ft range increment and you can add your strength to the d6 damage). You'd think everyone would stick a couple in their Haversack for those situations when you really don't want to move to bean that last goblin.

Haversacks and Boots of Speed were the "must-haves" in my last campaign.

James McMurray

First Post
When the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Thus, no digging around and fumbling is ever necessary to find what a haversack contains. Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a move-equivalent action.

Or you could go by the rules and have it be a move-equivelent action. Still better than a normal backpack, but certainly not as powerful as a ree action. For that you need a Glove of Storing.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Azlan said:

Hmm. Am I calculating it wrong? Keen is only a +1 enchantment, which costs 2000 gps. (Keen and Flaming/Frost would be a +2 enchantment, total, raising the cost to 8000 gps.)

Oh. I forgot to add the +375 gps for the falchion itself. So that brings the cost up to 2375. Is this correct?
Nope. It is 8375gp. James is correct. You cannot make a keen falchion. It must be at least a +1 keen falchion. This makes the total m.v. +2, or 8000gp, plus the 375gp for the masterwork falchion.

jollyninja

First Post
i played in one campaign shortly after 3e came out where the items you just listed were the equipment lists of each party member, we got a little crazy at first with the ability to create magical items. also there is an armor enchantment in relics and rituals called landing for +1 that makes is so any fall of 100 ft or less results in no damage and you land on your feet.

combine that with silence, shadow (you allready have some boots and a cloak so elvenkind has lost it's appeal) on a chain shirt and the shadowdancer prestige class and nobody can hope to stop your thief/assassiniosh character.

James McMurray

First Post
Well, that particular piece of erratta will be ignored in my game. It makes no sense, when compared to the Gloves of Storing. The gloves also retrieve as a free action, but they require an item slot, can only hold one item, and cost 200 gold more. Certainly doesn't sound balanced to me.

The Haversack (as a move-equivelent) is already a fairly standard piece of equipment. Change it to a free action and it becomes silly. In fact, the gloves' only benefit would be the stasis effect.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
James: But I can retrieve a stored item from my backpack already as a MEA. The benefit of the Haversack is that the item is always right there on top, and so it is a free action. The MEA was a mistake in the original text, so the errata corrected it.

Perhaps it should cost more. Maybe 4000gp? JMO.

Azlan

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
But I can retrieve a stored item from my backpack already as a MEA. The benefit of the Haversack is that the item is always right there on top, and so it is a free action.

Just because an item is always at the top, shouldn't make retrieving it a free action. After all, your sword in its scabbard and your dagger in its sheath are always "at the top", but you still have to use a move-equivalent action to draw them. (That is, unless you have the Quick Draw feat.)

I say, make retrieving an item from the Haversack a move-equivalent action. And as for retrieving an item from a backpack: Roll a d4. If you roll a 1, you get lucky; the item's at the top, and it takes only a move-equivalent action to retrieve it. If you roll a 2, 3, or 4, that's how many rounds it takes to find the item among all the other junk in there, and to retrieve it. (The DM might want to add a +1 or +2 modifier to this die roll, if the item to be retrieved is tiny like a ring or a gemstone.)

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
Except that the errata specifically states that it's a free action.

Pesky WotC employees. They are all powergaming weenies. This gauntlets of ogre power stuff is just pathetic. People should be spending their money on quaal's feather token whips. Real role player's use murlynd's spoons!

A pox on all those that have fun with efficient use of money and capitolize on their strengths instead of being hopelessly spread out among as many weak areas of (lack of) expertise as possible! The best D&D games are with 2nd level commoners!!

Bah.

Remove ads