• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weird Fantasy Post-Apoc Old-School Dungeon and Hex Crawling

Jeph

Explorer
Hey ya'll. It's been about a decade since I was active on the ENWorld homebrew forum, but I'm back!

I've been working on a heavy 5e mod to use for my next campaign, in 3 or 6 months. It's a post-apocalyptic exploration and tomb-raiding game, meant to be played in a very old school style. Plus talking bears controlling robot drones and vampire-alchemists.

It includes:

• Alternate magic system, stripping out all casting classes and sub-classes and replacing them with thaumaturgic, alchemic, and psychic variants.
  • Reworked experience system, capped at 10th level, based on accumulation of Milestones, Harrowing Experiences, and Seasons of Downtime.
  • Four new classes: the Thuamaturge, Alchemist, Psychologist, and Scavenger.
  • Seven new sub-classes: the Psychic Warrior and Warlord (Fighter), Tomb Raider (Rogue), Bounty Hunter and reworked Beast Master (Ranger), and the Way of the Natural Philosopher and Way of Transcendental Awareness (Monk).
  • A new set of races, featuring the Child, Golem, Offworlder, Talking Bear, Trilobyte, and Vampire.
  • Character creation where you first choose race, then roll 4d6-drop-low in order.
  • Initiative replaced with a four-phase simultaneous action combat round: first Magic & Misc, then Missiles, then Movement, finally Melee.
  • Hirelings and loyalty! With contracts and insurance policies!
  • More deadly death saves, promotion of hirelings upon the death of a PC, and new characters starting at 1st level—but a quirk of the advancement system that lets them catch up quickly.
  • Morale, for friend and foe!
  • Random overland encounters with random encounter distance and NPC attitude!
  • 10-minute-turn based dungeon exploration with wandering monsters!

Europa, Europa! Old School Post Apoc Crawls.

Example of Play

I'm not so interested with how this material balances against the stuff in the PHB; but does it look like it's balanced against itself? And capable of evoking the feel I'm going for? Especially with respect to the four new classes.

Feedback appreciated!

Jeph

Explorer
I think my next step is lists, step by step how-tos and random tables for the GM.

Random treasure tables of magic and hypertech items.

Random encounter tables for exploring the jungle, tombs, ruined cities, and crashed space ships.

How-to guide for running on the fly explorations of tombs, ruins, and space hulks.

I haven't really run a strictly old-school dungeon crawl / hex-crawl before. Closest is an open-map exploration game in the vein of the Western Marches. What kinda stuff do I need?

Remove ads