D&D 5E Weird Interpretations for High/Low Ability Scores

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, here's a thought experiment:

Let's say Player A has rolled some stat array, and wants to play a low ability score a certain way.

Their DM (Ruin Explorer, or Saelorn, etc.) says, "No, that's against the rules. Your stat does not mean X, it means Y."

Player A isn't happy with this, but instead of kicking up a fuss, decides to just roleplay in their head.

So now whenever the relevant ability score is used, they roll their dice, add or subtract the relevant modifier, and report the results. "Twelve." Or whatever.

Meanwhile, in their head they imagine the outcome according to their preferred fiction.

When an action that might be relevant to that stat is taken but doesn't require a dice roll, they do a similar thing: they share with the table a minimally descriptive action, but in their head imagine it happening according to the fiction they've concocted?

Are they still breaking any rules (for those who think it's rule-breaking)?
I imagine people have all kinds of things going on in their heads during a game. What's happening inside isn't really relevant. Only what comes out into the shared imagined space is relevant.

The player can solve everything in his head in a Holmes like fashion, and in the shared imagined space be roleplaying the low Int that he has. That's fine.

Voranzovin

Explorer
Well definitely. Book Holmes is all-round superior in capabilities, and merely misanthropic. But if we look at most modern portrayals of Holmes, whether they're the Benedict Cumberbatch take or Dr House or whatever, there seems to be centering around a more "anti-social" character, who is brilliant, but struggles with dealing with other people.

My personal feeling is that this is a bit more plausible for a "real-world"-ish scenario than the original Holmes, but YMMV. Certainly the RDJ Holmes was more in line with book Holmes though, in that he was charming (it's hard for RDJ to be otherwise, of course!).

There does seem to be a tendency in that direction, probably in an attempt to bring a frankly super-heroic character down to earth. I'm inclined to say some portrayals take it too far--I eventually stopped watching Sherlock because they'd turned him into such a jerk that I lost all interest in that version of the character. Book-Holmes can be acerbic and arrogant, but he's nowhere close to a "high-functioning sociopath."

I doubt there are any DCs in the Sherlock Holmes books, but I'm willing to be wrong if you can cite an example. I'll wait.

There are, of course, no DCs in the Sherlock Holmes books. We can, however, make some guesses as to what they would be if we did try to take the events portrayed in the books and put them in the context of DnD, even though doing this is an inherently questionable process because DnD does not actually model any literary genre--not even Sword and Sorcery--all that accurately.

Holmes, Lestrade, and Gregson are making Investigation and Perception checks all the time. Lestrade and Gregson, who are intelligent enough to have risen in the ranks of Scotland Yard and have a fair amount of experience, routinely fail. Ergo, the DCs must be pretty high. Holmes is basically never shown to fail an Investigation or Perception check. If there is a clue, Holmes usually sees it the moment he walks in the room, even if he doesn't understand it's significance yet. Ergo, Holmes must have sky-high Investigation and Perception.

He does sometimes fail Insight checks, usually when he's matched against a worthy opponent. He's more likely to get the wrong answer because he doesn't have all the facts yet, or because his own prejudices are getting in the way.

The character I'm playing right now might be described as "What if Sherlock Holmes was even grumpier, and also a wizard?" He does not, of course, have anything even approaching Holmes' across-the-board competence and near-infallibility, because that's not really what DnD is designed for. Playing a magical Holmes-ish character works very well though, with heavy reliance on spells like Detect Thoughts and Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, and the ability to cast Lightning Bolt goes a long way towards making up for the inability to effectively punch people.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It doesn't describe high as medium or low as medium either. Where do you draw the line? Can a high Strength character appear normal (instead of burly or athletic or the like)? Like, say, Spiderman from the most recent movies? Or maybe appear normal to weak like Gon from Hunter X Hunter?
Spiderman has "magical" strength. Before being bitten, he was not strong. I have no problem with a weak looking PC having magical runes giving high strength, but it will be vulnerable to things magic is vulnerable to.

Spiderman has "magical" strength. Before being bitten, he was not strong. I have no problem with a weak looking PC having magical runes giving high strength, but it will be vulnerable to things magic is vulnerable to.

Perhaps Spiderman is a bad example then.

Let me rephrase the question:
Without the intervention of magic, can a high Strength character appear normal (instead of burly or athletic or the like)?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
There are, of course, no DCs in the Sherlock Holmes books. We can, however, make some guesses as to what they would be if we did try to take the events portrayed in the books and put them in the context of DnD, even though doing this is an inherently questionable process because DnD does not actually model any literary genre--not even Sword and Sorcery--all that accurately.

It's especially questionable since one person could argue the DC would be X to support their particular position while another person could argue the DC would be Y to support the opposite position. Or either could argue that a given attempt at a task would be automatic success or automatic failure with no roll at all. We'd quickly get nowhere. Luckily, we don't even have to go this far to recognize what are the rules and what is a preference.

G

Guest 6801328

Thats AN interpretation of RAW, but Max's interpretation of the RAW is just as valid. That 'might' can easily be read/interpreted both ways.

Yes, exactly. It's ambiguous.

One side in this debate is saying, "RAW dictates that ability scores be represented a certain way. Doing otherwise is breaking the rules."

The other side is saying, "Meh. The rules don't dictate any such thing. It's all preference. Your preference is valid, so is ours."

How do a STR 16 Halfling vs. STR 16 Elf vs. STR 16 Dragonborn differ in apparent burliness? (How could you tell by looking?)
It's not exact science. It just the general principle that the muscle mass is related to strength so really strong people can be visually be recognised as such. This of course mostly matters for describing NPCs.

Remove ads