D&D 5E Weird Interpretations for High/Low Ability Scores

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If you haven't read the rule book, then you probably haven't been playing the actual game. I mean, how would you even know?

You're playing your own game, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it isn't the game in question.
So, curiously, what in the actual rules of 5e prevents a high-DEX Mr. Magoo type character? Would that same rule (if you can show it exists) prevent a drunken master type character, doing essentially the same things?

So, curiously, what in the actual rules of 5e prevents a high-DEX Mr. Magoo type character? Would that same rule (if you can show it exists) prevent a drunken master type character, doing essentially the same things?
The relevant rule, from the Basic Rules document, is as follows: "Dexterity measures agility, reflexes, and balance." If you interpret the high-Dexterity of your character to mean that he's actually just very lucky, then that's a violation of the rule, which defines Dexterity as agility, reflexes, and balance.

If you haven't read the rule book, then you probably haven't been playing the actual game. I mean, how would you even know?

You're playing your own game, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it isn't the game in question.
No, I’m playing the game. You are just being to narrow in your understanding. It is ok, I can play with people like you too.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The relevant rule, from the Basic Rules document, is as follows: "Dexterity measures agility, reflexes, and balance." If you interpret the high-Dexterity of your character to mean that he's actually just very lucky, then that's a violation of the rule, which defines Dexterity as agility, reflexes, and balance.
Ah, so you're fine with the exact same effect on a drunken master, because that uses the right words, but not fine with a Mr. Magoo character, that appears to do the exact same thing, but different words are used. Honestly, at the point that the result is identical I'm not sure that a semantics filter actually helps anything.

PS, I have read the relevant sections of the PHB. The definitions of ability scores is not high on the relevance list.

I'm being factual in my understanding. As contrasted with you, who are making up new rules out of thin air.

It's fine, though, because I don't have to play with people like you.
I am making up no rules. The definition of dex is not a rule. I’ve make my characters by the rules, I play the character by the rules. Simple as that.

I play by the rules and so do you, no need to be rude about it

dave2008

Legend
You are factually incorrect. The definition of Dexterity is as much a rule as the math governing attack rolls, and I'm not going to waste my time talking to anyone who can't understand that.
Just curious, how do you personally decided what is a "rule" or just a "guideline" or simply "descriptive text?"

Remove ads