D&D 5E Weird Interpretations for High/Low Ability Scores

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Perhaps another edition of the game has a more suitable definition for you. I bet D&D 2e or 3.Xe might fit the bill, though I've long since gotten rid of those books so I can't check.
I don't need a game to tell me a definition that I already know from outside of games. A game can't redefine it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Moving the Goalposts! 10 yard penalty. Replay the down. We're discussing the definition of roleplaying.

You said you don't need a game to tell you a definition that you already know from outside the game. Do you not think that portraying ability scores a particular way is part of your view of roleplaying? If it is part of how you define roleplaying, what definition are you drawing from outside of the context of games that involve ability scores?

G

Guest 6801328

ROFL. So yes, any term that points out bad behaviour as bad belongs in the "dustbin of history", okay buddy, got it. Cool. Thumb up. But that's pretty intense clarity on your position, I'd suggest, in that you're saying you consider behaviours widely regarded as atrocious, and which can be extremely disruptive and spotlight-stealing to be totally cool.

What I think is going on here is that you are starting with the conclusion that certain approaches to roleplaying are "bad", and then arguing back toward that. @iserith and I and others are asking you to examine that belief, and see what the basis is for calling it bad. As opposed to simply not fitting within your own preferences for what roleplaying should look like.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You said you don't need a game to tell you a definition that you already know from outside the game. Do you not think that portraying ability scores a particular way is part of your view of roleplaying? If it is part of how you define roleplaying, what definition are you drawing from outside of the context of games that involve ability scores?
Um, no. Roleplaying is being discussed in general terms. The specific restrictions on stats(high = high and low=low) is a part of the game, not the roleplaying definition.. Trying to game the system and ignore the context of page 14 and the ability check system isn't something I accept.

Definitions are funny things. I am into "Iron Sports" as a hobby, and among exercise scientists, there are arguments about how many types of strength there are. A typical definition is 4, although some go up to 7.

Give that professional sports scientists have different definitions for strength, it is totally reasonable for a game to provide it's definition.

For those that are interested, the four common definitions are:
  1. Starting Strength - the ability to recruit as many muscle fibres at once. Bodybuilders exemplify this with their training
  2. Explosive Strength - the ability to continue to fire muscle fibres to create accelerative force. Sprints and Olympic weightlifters are the prime examples of this
  3. Limit Strength - the maximum amount of strain muscles can undertake before failing. This is primarily a powerlifters domain
  4. Muscle endurance - the ability to hold lactic acid and process energy sources efficiently. This is seen in endurance athletes like cyclists, marathon runners, and crossfit practitioners.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Um, no. Roleplaying is being discussed in general terms. The specific restrictions on stats(high = high and low=low) is a part of the game, not the roleplaying definition.. Trying to game the system and ignore the context of page 14 and the ability check system isn't something I accept.

There are no "specific restrictions on stats." A player choosing how to portray his or her own character isn't gaming the system. It's just playing the game. I get that some of you may have opinions on how someone should portray an 8 Intelligence versus a 12 Intelligence (or whatever), but opinions are all they are.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Definitions are funny things. I am into "Iron Sports" as a hobby, and among exercise scientists, there are arguments about how many types of strength there are. A typical definition is 4, although some go up to 7.

Give that professional sports scientists have different definitions for strength, it is totally reasonable for a game to provide it's definition.

For those that are interested, the four common definitions are:
  1. Starting Strength - the ability to recruit as many muscle fibres at once. Bodybuilders exemplify this with their training
  2. Explosive Strength - the ability to continue to fire muscle fibres to create accelerative force. Sprints and Olympic weightlifters are the prime examples of this
  3. Limit Strength - the maximum amount of strain muscles can undertake before failing. This is primarily a powerlifters domain
  4. Muscle endurance - the ability to hold lactic acid and process energy sources efficiently. This is seen in endurance athletes like cyclists, marathon runners, and crossfit practitioners.
Those aren't really different definitions for strength, so much as definitions for different types of strength. There are different types of roleplaying as well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There are no "specific restrictions on stats." A player choosing how to portray his or her own character isn't gaming the system. It's just playing the game. I get that some of you may have opinions on how someone should portray an 8 Intelligence versus a 12 Intelligence (or whatever), but opinions are all they are.
The rules on page 14 and the ability check section back up my "opinion" far more than they do yours.

Remove ads