D&D 5E What’s your favorite class?

As a dedicated caster player: cleric, wizard, sorcerer and bard.

I like druids, but the bookeeping with wildshape and summons makes me shy away from playing it as often.

The warlock class is arguably the best from a flavor and RP standpoint. I have a hard time getting past the very few number of spells known. It just seems more valuable as a 2 level multiclass dip than to go all-in.

DeathEatsCurry

First Post
Isnt that "I will make my party members fight you"?

To some extent, yes. I liked Warlord because it was a support class more concerned with buffing and enabling allies than it was about healing. While it's really easy to deconstruct that to "I will make my party members fight you", it's a lot more engaging than just playing a first-aid-battery Cleric. Warlords had the ability to move their allies, bait enemies into ambushes.. Overall they just made their allies better. It felt like you were playing a proper tactician, or commander. And their own attacks were still servicable (Particularly with the Artificer hybrid).

Edit: Also it was the perfect class for a powergamer like me. Normally, a powergamer just puts himself way ahead of his party and makes everyone else, DM included, suffer for it. But if you optimize a class like Warlord, you're redistributing all that power back into your allies, making them more awesome.

Raith5

Adventurer
To some extent, yes. I liked Warlord because it was a support class more concerned with buffing and enabling allies than it was about healing. While it's really easy to deconstruct that to "I will make my party members fight you", it's a lot more engaging than just playing a first-aid-battery Cleric. Warlords had the ability to move their allies, bait enemies into ambushes.. Overall they just made their allies better. It felt like you were playing a proper tactician, or commander. And their own attacks were still servicable (Particularly with the Artificer hybrid).

Edit: Also it was the perfect class for a powergamer like me. Normally, a powergamer just puts himself way ahead of his party and makes everyone else, DM included, suffer for it. But if you optimize a class like Warlord, you're redistributing all that power back into your allies, making them more awesome.

Sorry, I am a big 4e fan (and agree that warlords etc should appear in 5e), I was just joking about the capacity of warlords to fight individually.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s

This was eloquently (and accurately) explained.

I did a hybrid Fighter/Bard when we first starting playing 5E with the intent of coming off like a Warlord. I only took spells that I could twist into not being spells at all and just seeming like morale boosts, like 'Bless.' I obviously used a custom spell list for this, but between bardic inspiration, redefined spells, and the battle master fighter's rally and maneuvers, it wasn't horrible - could just use some fine tweaking.

kagayaku

First Post
I made a Radiant Lance for my players.

Stealing this; looks very cool, Xaelvaen :D

To some extent, yes. I liked Warlord because it was a support class more concerned with buffing and enabling allies than it was about healing.

I've only played 5e so had never heard of the Warlord, but it sounds awesome. I'll have to look into it!

As for which I like best, I don't think I've played enough to know yet...
I really enjoyed barbarian as a nice escape into brainlessness though, and I'd like to try bard (for an excuse to ad-lib bad poetry ;))

The idea of monk really appeals, kicking arrows out of the air and leaping about the fight. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm writing a big bad monk for the game I'm DMing, so I'll at least briefly get to do that soon. :D

Also... can this be poll-ified? (I like polls xD)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

This was eloquently (and accurately) explained.

I did a hybrid Fighter/Bard when we first starting playing 5E with the intent of coming off like a Warlord. I only took spells that I could twist into not being spells at all and just seeming like morale boosts, like 'Bless.' I obviously used a custom spell list for this, but between bardic inspiration, redefined spells, and the battle master fighter's rally and maneuvers, it wasn't horrible - could just use some fine tweaking.

If you forgive me for advertisement, check the en5ider noble. It does the job
The OGL version with just two subclasses is in my downloads. (Pinky swear I'll write a follow up soon)
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1359.

Last edited:

DeathEatsCurry

First Post
Sorry, I am a big 4e fan (and agree that warlords etc should appear in 5e), I was just joking about the capacity of warlords to fight individually.

I realized this when I reviewed my own post. It went completely over my damn head. Guess that'll show me for instantly assuming every reponse to my love for the Warlord is an attack!

Remove ads