What 2nd level spell to pick for a sorcerer at 4th level?

The Cardinal

First Post
The human sorcerer in question knows the following level 1 spells:
Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Charm Person.

(Spellcasting Prodigy, Improved Initiative, Spell Focus (Enchantment))

He aims for the Dragon Disciple PrC.

hong

WotC's bitch
The Cardinal said:
The human sorcerer in question knows the following level 1 spells:
Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Charm Person.

(Spellcasting Prodigy, Improved Initiative, Spell Focus (Enchantment))

He aims for the Dragon Disciple PrC.

Either alter self or invisibility.

Crothian

First Post
Personally, since you have spell focus enchanment, I'd go with the only 2nd level enchantment spell in the PHB: Tash's Hidious Laughter. However, it isn't very versatile and it really depends on the campaign and the individual adventures.

You already have an ovensive, a defensive, and a charm spell. Let me see...Shatter is always nice as you can target walls, floors, and ceilings, and create havoc. My Bard has used it nicely. Pyroterchnics is always good as it can can have one of two effects and versitility id good. Detect THoughts is just fun.

All things not being equal, I'd take Tasha's Hidious Laughter. You spent a feat on Spell Focus: Enchanment so I'd take as much advantage of that as possible.

coyote6

Adventurer
The sorcerer PC in my campaign got quite a bit of use out of invisibility at 4th level. Turned all the PCs or scouts invisible, etc. It helped them take out a roper!

hong

WotC's bitch
coyote6 said:
The sorcerer PC in my campaign got quite a bit of use out of invisibility at 4th level. Turned all the PCs or scouts invisible, etc. It helped them take out a roper!

4th level PCs against a roper? For some reason, I'm thinking Forge of Fury.... :)

off thread: forge of fury

hong said:

4th level PCs against a roper? For some reason, I'm thinking Forge of Fury.... :)

oh yes, i remember dming that . . . i tried to make it clear to the pcs after one got 'roped' that they needed to run, but they refused to leave a party member to die. one pc killed, two captured. the two remaining pcs went orc-hunting to give the roper 'ransom'.

EOL

First Post
I'm not sure if this would be the best as your first 2nd level spell, but somewhere in there I would definitely check out Endurance. Other than that I would look in some other books (R&R, MofF, T&B) for another 2nd level enchantment spell, I've never been a big fan of Tasha's.

Remove ads