D&D 3E/3.5 What 3.5'isms do you use you swore you wouldn't?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Assuming you speak of the "1, 2, 1, 2" rule, our group had been using that for a while before 3e. Is there a new version of it in 3.5?

---

As for the rest, I never had any rules I said, "UGH! I'll never use them!" In fact, I've been sneaking in a few of them whenever I can into our 3.0 Forgotten Realms game (such as 5/bludgeon for skeletons, and the 10 x 10 monsters and the "squeezing" rules).

EDIT - OOPS! One thing I swore I hated and wouldn't use, and wind up using it on these forums all the time:

The Horrible term "3.5" :D

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
KaeYoss said:
And while the spells aren't very useful if you have a stat-booster item for that ability score, you can use these spells and save yourself the money for that item. This way you can get another item you need more, for the money is there and you have another free slot.
By the time you get items to boost your stats by +4, I don't think you should be relying all that heavily on 2nd level spells.

That said, I wonder if the 3.5 anibuffs would be more attractive if they were a single spell, like the psionic Animal Affinity.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Staffan said:
By the time you get items to boost your stats by +4, I don't think you should be relying all that heavily on 2nd level spells.

That said, I wonder if the 3.5 anibuffs would be more attractive if they were a single spell, like the psionic Animal Affinity.

Could even work.

Artoomis

First Post
The 3.5e Charge action is really messed up. It needs serious work. It went partway towards a fix, but ended up being a halfway fix that may have even created more problems than it solved. The errata on Overrun just makes Charge 3.5e even worse.

As written, you can't do a Ride-by Attack without a very generous reading of "Charge." That's just stupid.

Furthermore, you cannot charge through friendly troops. Apparently they are smart enough to get out of the way when you are "Running," but not when you are moving slower and charging. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I detect the heavy hand of one WotC employee who does not like "Charge."

Artoomis

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Don't forget, you can't Ready a Charge any more either...

Well, unless you're a zombie.

-Hyp.

No Readied Charges.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Well, actually, you can Ready a Charge, but it takes an extremely generous reading of the rules.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

From experience, I can tell you that characters optimized for charging will normally do less damage than a straight fighter with normal non-charging combat feats. You do get more damage when you hit, but that happens at most once per round. There was no reason to nerf charging in the way it was done. The restricted terrain thing was good, but the rest...

Remove ads