D&D 5E What a small industry 5e publishing really is, and WOTC are thieves.

When I worked at the library, we had a sizable group of regular homeless people who would visit us on a daily basis. They could check their bags in with security and they were free to make use of the library so long as they didn't just go sleep in a corner somewhere. They'd spend the day reading books, periodicals, or in some other area of the library and they never caused any trouble. A lot of people do think of the library as just as place you check out books, but you're right. It's a place where all sorts of people get together for all sorts of things.

I've loved libraries my whole life for nerdy reasons, and later because I have a kid, but at least in the U.S., disasters like severe weather and the pandemic have really revealed how much of a social safety net libraries are. Where I live major storms knock out the town's power about once a year, usually for days, and people who otherwise never set foot in the library are there to charge their phones, drink the free coffee set out for the occasion, and stay warm. Libraries also started distributing Covid self-tests when they were virtually impossible to get, and still offer them free-of-charge to residents--the staff don't even ask for proof of residency. They're just nice people doing something nice, no judgments or shade!

Libraries are also one of the last public spaces in the U.S. where you don't have to pay to be there. That is such a big deal, and so rare that, combined with all the other free resources they provide, libraries frankly feel un-American to me now. It's a minor miracle that they still exist, and I truly love them, and the staff who work them. Even the very rare grumpy ones.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I've loved libraries my whole life for nerdy reasons, and later because I have a kid, but at least in the U.S., disasters like severe weather and the pandemic have really revealed how much of a social safety net libraries are. Where I live major storms knock out the town's power about once a year, usually for days, and people who otherwise never set foot in the library are there to charge their phones, drink the free coffee set out for the occasion, and stay warm. Libraries also started distributing Covid self-tests when they were virtually impossible to get, and still offer them free-of-charge to residents--the staff don't even ask for proof of residency. They're just nice people doing something nice, no judgments or shade!

Libraries are also one of the last public spaces in the U.S. where you don't have to pay to be there. That is such a big deal, and so rare that, combined with all the other free resources they provide, libraries frankly feel un-American to me now. It's a minor miracle that they still exist, and I truly love them, and the staff who work them. Even the very rare grumpy ones.

I love our neighborhood library, the number of things it offers is simply amazing! heck they even have a D&D club for teens (which went remote during the pandemic so people wouldn't miss out).

The neighborhood library just to the north of where I live (where one of my players lives) even offers a 3D printer for basically just the cost of materials. Since my player is a pro with it - we have any minis we want (within reason) for pennies. My only worry is spoiling future sessions by being too specific with my requests!

Vaalingrade

Legend
Well, if your main example is Amazon, take into consideration that they exploit... pretty much everybody. That's no longer about writers, but about Amazon.
Nook, Kobo, and other companies all do the same. But yeah, not the best example to lead with omni-scumbags when discussing a specific type of scumbaggery.

Speaking of digital publishing -- for the librarians on the thread, do your libraries participate in Overdrive or other ebook lending services? I think it's a great idea, but always wondered how much participation is actually on there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Speaking of digital publishing -- for the librarians on the thread, do your libraries participate in Overdrive or other ebook lending services? I think it's a great idea, but always wondered how much participation is actually on there.

I am not a librarian, but I know that in my area, Overdrive is a big deal for the Boston Public Library and the Minuteman Library Network. Free eBooks and audiobooks are kind of a no-brainer.

Nook, Kobo, and other companies all do the same. But yeah, not the best example to lead with omni-scumbags when discussing a specific type of scumbaggery.

My library offers Overdrive. This is pretty standard in Canada. Unfortunately e-readers don't seem very popular here. In my case, I read a whole bunch but I access to many ebooks in my library. (I will not be done reading my collection within 10 years, and possibly not in my lifespan.) But then I'm not a normal library user. This is probably why Kobo is so popular here rather than Kindle; our libraries' Overdrive works with Kobo (a partially Canadian company) but not Kindle.

I understand that Overdrive isn't offered nearly to the same extent in the United States. Americans can read library books on Kindle.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
The real game changer with Overdrive has been downloadable audiobooks. Virtually no new cars have CD players, but you can hook up your phone. Not to mention no skipping, no need to change discs, a bigger selection, and no overdue fees. ;)
We recently got a grant to provide free wi-fi hotspots, Chromebooks, and tablets. So we're working to bridge that digital divide.
Before my current position (promotion?) I ran gaming groups and did programs for kids as the children's librarian. We really have a lot going on.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is probably why Kobo is so popular here rather than Kindle; our libraries' Overdrive works with Kobo (a partially Canadian company) but not Kindle.

If I recall correctly, there is an awkwardness in the Kobo implementation.

If you are working on most tablets, you can install the Overdrive App, and download books from your library.

If you are working on a Kobo, the Kobo Overdrive functionality checks with the library that you are allowed to have the book, and then you download the book from Kobo's store, rather than from your library. Which means that if your library has a book, but Kobo doesn't, you are out of luck.

If I recall correctly, there is an awkwardness in the Kobo implementation.
True, but I never noticed this when I was actively downloading books. In Canada, the partnership is such that non-Kobo books are rarely available at the library. (The library can't use Kindle, and Kobo is the second largest ebook distributor.) On that note, while Amazon has a much larger library, it seems the books I want to read are also available at Kobo, and usually at the same price.

To be fair, I live in a big city with a well-funded library. This might be a bigger issue at smaller libraries. (I wonder where they get their ebooks.)

NB: I either download on my desktop, or on the Kobo itself (which I wouldn't consider a tablet).

Vaalingrade

Legend
Just checked my D2D dashboard. Some other apparent library apps that get ebooks into library systems:

Bliblioteca, BorrowBox, Hoopla

I think I've gotten one borrow via Hoopla in all the years I've been on there.

Retreater

Legend
Just checked my D2D dashboard. Some other apparent library apps that get ebooks into library systems:

Bliblioteca, BorrowBox, Hoopla

I think I've gotten one borrow via Hoopla in all the years I've been on there.
In addition to Hoopla, there is the Overdrive app (which is now been phased out and is currently called "Libby"). We also provide access to 3M Cloud, Tumblebooks (children's picture books), Biblioboard.
I'm sure your local library will be happy to let you know what services they provide.

Remove ads