What adventures are you thinking about running?

Dawn Raven

First Post
I suppose I meant if I was both player and DM. But not in that adventure. The character would introduce the adventure, then go off on their own adventures.

covaithe

Explorer
Ah, I see. I think that's probably fine, then. There's some treacherous ground to be crossed with allowing the PC to give out money he doesn't actually have, but I think that it can be traversed, with sufficient caution. The main thing to watch out for is creating a situation where the PC could benefit mechanically. In other words:

OK: "There is an infestation of rats in my basement. At level 2, I'm too important and powerful to be bothered killing them myself, so I'll hire you guys to do it. Here's 500g I don't actually have if you kill them."

Not OK: "I'd really like a +5 vorpal sword of meteor swarm, but I'm too cowardly to face the dragon that's guarding it. Here's 10000g I don't have if you kill the dragon and fetch me the sword, which I'll then put on my character sheet."

renau1g

First Post
I think that as long as the judges approve the reward/treasure/adventure, the mechanics aren't terribly unbalanced as the PC only serves as the tool to get the others on the adventure and as long as the reward is commesurate with the quest it doesn't appear to be any different than an NPC doing it.

Dawn Raven

First Post
I hadn't even though of it the second way. I assumed common sense would rule that out! I was thinking along the lines of, I heard a rumor but have business to attend to and wouldn't mind paying X gold to 2-3 people to look into it for me..."

covaithe

Explorer
Well, no, I didn't think you had anything like that in mind, of course. My point was just that it's possible for conflict of interest to rear its head, so a certain degree of caution is called for.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I have a short scenario in mind for anyone who happens to be hanging around the tavern - I'll run it if there's a dead spot with people waiting to play and no new full adventures coming up.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Woo-hoo! I have 1 of 2 needed approvals for the sequel to 'Captain's Caper'! Now I just have to make sure that the party survives the final fight of the first adventure so there is someone to run through it!! :devil: :eek: :confused:

Remove ads