What alignment are these Harry Potter characters? (Spoilers abound.)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm surprised to see so many votes for a NE voldemort - I can barely think of any other protagonists who seem *more* CE than that guy.

It seems to me that he goes way past the mere selfishness of NE and well into the wanton cruelty of CE

paradox42

First Post
Donovan Morningfire said:
Harry: Definitely Neutral Good. He's out to do the right thing for the greater good, rules be damned.

Hermione: I'd say she starts out Lawful Neutral and by series end she's Lawful Good. Just remember that Lawful Good doesn't mean upholding rules you know are wrong, evil, or spiteful.

The Weasleys: Ron is Chaotic Good, as are Fred and George. Percy is Lawful Neutral, while the rest of the clan seems to be hovering around Lawful Good

Albus Dumbledore: Agreed. Like Harry, he's willing to put everything else aside for the greater good in a form of penance for his youthful arrogance (which explains why he's willing to give everyone else a second chance).

Riddle/Voldemort: Neutral Evil. He's only in it for himself, which is the epitome of NE.

The Malfoys: Lawful Evil for the most part. Work within the framework for their own benefit, which Lucius and Draco certainly did. Narcissa would be more True Neutral I think. Bellatrix would be Chaotic Evil.

Snape: I'd go True Neutral. His main goal seemed to be avenging Lily after her death, and he was largely willing to do whatever it took, good or bad. Of course, how much of his attitude was acting to make Voldemort's followers think he was on their side is up for debate.
(names above added by me for clarity)

I have to agree with all of these assessments.

For other characters, I'll add that Dolores Umbridge looks LE to me, tending towards NE.

Fudge, and other members of his administration in the Ministry, I'd peg as LN- willing to do whatever it took to keep order and unwilling (even terrified) of accepting change even when evidence of its inevitability and fact was presented.

Rita Skeeter, I'd say is probably TN- the best example of it in the series other than Snape- though with a tendency towards CN since she appeared willing to break rules of courtesy (at the very least) to get her stories.

Hagrid is almost certainly LG, accepting of rules even when it hurts him and those he loves but willing to go along with authority figures he trusts even when they themselves break established rules.

The Dursleys are probably TN with a tendency towards NE, though Dudley certainly reveals himself as moving away from Evil in book 7.

Xeno Lovegood is a wonderful example of CN behavior, IMO. He generally rails against the Establishment at every turn, though in a generally benign way rather than destructive. When his buttons are pressed appropriately by the bad guys, he betrays people he himself was exhorting others to ally with, but his reasons for doing so are sympathetic (even if cowardly).

Crabbe and Goyle are probably NE with a tendency towards LE due to Draco's influence and their constant toadying up to him.

That's all I can think of for now.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
That suggests that well roleplayed characters can't have an alignment as well. ;)

I think thats about right. At least they cannot be afraid to change alignments or the very least break the alignments taboos.

I think the malfoys are neutral, and i would say snap is lawfull good or lawfull neutral. In that i mean he is honer bound to lilly and as far as I can tell, he remains so the entire chronicle of books. after hogworts and before the books he could have very well been evil though. We just dont know how many he killed or what he did.

Last edited:

Marshall

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Was Cornelius Fudge evil? I'd say that he, and most of the Ministry of Magic, are squarely in the Lawful Neutral camp, like most bureaucrats.

Bureaucrats and bureaucracies are lawful evil by definition. They exist solely for their own empowerment.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
I'm surprised to see so many votes for a NE voldemort - I can barely think of any other protagonists who seem *more* CE than that guy.

It seems to me that he goes way past the mere selfishness of NE and well into the wanton cruelty of CE

Yeah. Particularly among his inner circle, there weren't rules, there weren't hierarchy, there was just keeping Voldemort happy. He used the Ministry in the seventh book, but he didn't set up an orderly system, he decided not to spend the time to tear down the existing one when it could still be useful to him. His death eaters, as a general rule, didn't even pretend to work under the rule of law.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
paradox42 said:
Hagrid is almost certainly LG, accepting of rules even when it hurts him and those he loves but willing to go along with authority figures he trusts even when they themselves break established rules.

Hagrid lawful? In the first book, he has an illegal wand, does illegal magic, keeps an illegal pet, none of this for any good reason. I'd peg Hagrid as CG; he's extremely loyal to his friends, but would ignore the rules in a heartbeat.

The Dursleys are probably TN with a tendency towards NE, though Dudley certainly reveals himself as moving away from Evil in book 7.

I'd say NE or LE. They acted with cruelty towards their helpless nephew. TN is the average human, and the average human would never treat their nephew the way they do.

Crabbe and Goyle are probably NE with a tendency towards LE due to Draco's influence and their constant toadying up to him.

I don't see Draco as very lawful, and especially in what little we see in Book 7, I don't think either of them behave in a lawful fashion. NE with CE leanings, IMO.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
DM-Rocco said:
After some thought, I change my mind on Harry Potter. I think throughout the first 6 books Harry is Chaotic Good, but in the last book I think he made the change to Lawful Good. I think this is evident in the change of heart towards the Malfoys. Whether or not he trusted them, he did save Draco from the demon fire. [...]

He chose to save Draco's and Goyles life (and even Crab's, even if he was too late), even when they were trying to kill him and his friends. I think that, coupled with his desire NOT to gain the power of the hallows for personal use, and his choice to disarm Voldemort instead of trying to kill him and even his willingness to give him one last chance to turn back from his evil ways has turned him into Lawful Good in the end.

I see all that as Good, not Lawful. A good person would attempt to save the life of his enemies; a lawful person would attempt to see that due process was done.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Variability

A good rule is that the most common behaviour/acts of a character are very important to their alignment.

Snape is an odd one: a lot like Last Temptation/Holy blood and Holy Grail versions of Judas. Betrayer following the orders of the betrayee to do so.

forgotten Realms: silver marches has an acerbic, sarcastic teacher of sorcery who is Chaotic Good. sounds a bit Snape-ish. Breaking rules and playing evil as a spy is a chaotic flavour: ends (overthrow of Voldemort) justify means (deceiving EVERYONE into thinking you're Volemorts man)

I'd say Chaotic neutral. His evil acts (bullying, permitting Carrows to do horrible things, etc) are balanced by his motives (protecting students from worse things, keeping Voldemort fooled, furthering plan for his defeat)

Remove ads