• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are people doing with their 3.x colletions?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
When/if we switch to 4E once the Midwood/Freeport campaign wraps up, I will be giving all the stuff I don't want to keep for fluff reasons (like Ptolus and Redhurst, for instance) to the local library.

If you want the hobby to grow, don't make it require a $100 purchase for new players to get a test run.

Edgewood

First Post
Well I'm not done playing with 3.5 but if I was, I would be holding onto them as part of my Dungeons and Dragons collection. I have keep all of my books from the previous editions including all of BECMI boxed sets. It's bad enough that my wife wants me to sell my comic book collection....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd be happy to sell mine, or trade them for minis, or for 3D terrain.

Heck, I think I even have some 2E stuff I don't want. That said, most of what I'm getting rid of is the rules books. Setting stuff generally stays in house. Feel free to contact me.

I just realized I don't use my old books as much as I thought I would. Same goes for old Dragon magazines, and I even have a few Dungeon magazines and modules I'd get rid of. I'm in full purge mode. I think I just sold over 175 minis to someone starting out....

nerfherder

Explorer
They'll stay on one of my gaming bookshelves in the study, and get used the next time I play 3e. Same as my Hero, Cthulhu, Cyberpunk2020, Traveller, etc, etc books.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've noticed that a lot of 3E books are actually selling for more now that 4E is out than they were when 3E was still the current edition. Makes it hard to complete my collection....
Hmm, I haven't really noticed that here in Edmonton. Then again, most retailers in this city have no idea when it comes to roleplaying books.

My main complaint is that a lot of my LGSs are balking at the idea of ordering in v.3.5 books that aren't WotC books. Warp One, for example, has a lot of 3rd Edition D&D books but they won't bring in 3PP stuff for v.3.5 anymore unless someone (like me) specifically asks for something.

And they still haven't been able to get me the d20 Freeport Companion. They will bring in Pathfinder stuff and Green Ronin's True20 books if I ask nicely. (They brought in the True20 Adept's Handbook but I haven't seen the other ones on their shelves yet.)

If I do switch to 4E full-time, I expect I'll keep a few things handy to use as source material, and put the rest away in the closet with my 2E, 1E, and BECMI stuff. I'm a serious pack rat for stuff like this, I would never sell it.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Hmm, I haven't really noticed that here in Edmonton. Then again, most retailers in this city have no idea when it comes to roleplaying books.

My main complaint is that a lot of my LGSs are balking at the idea of ordering in v.3.5 books that aren't WotC books. Warp One, for example, has a lot of 3rd Edition D&D books but they won't bring in 3PP stuff for v.3.5 anymore unless someone (like me) specifically asks for something.

And they still haven't been able to get me the d20 Freeport Companion. They will bring in Pathfinder stuff and Green Ronin's True20 books if I ask nicely. (They brought in the True20 Adept's Handbook but I haven't seen the other ones on their shelves yet.)

If they're being intentionally obtuse, why not just order directly from the source? You may not get any special discounts, but the publisher makes a significant percentage more on the purchase than they do if you buy it through a gaming store.

Show me a game store that not only carries but is knowledgeable enough to sell 3rd party stuff and I'll gladly give them my business. If their selection is lacking and they can't discuss stuff from these companies intelligently, I'll buy online with no regrets. I'm lucky that I have a very well rounded and knowledgeable FLGS locally, and I don't mind throwing them some cash from time to time. In fact, I was actually going to give Goodman's Castle Whiterock a miss because of the price, but when I found out the store had recently been robbed, I intentionally went there and bought their most expensive OGL product, which just happened to be Castle Whiterock.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads