• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Are Some Common First-time Dm Questions?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
If the players are consulted before any design work beyond an idea is done then theres nothing to waste.
Very good point. I actually some really good advice on how to write a short yet informative game intro blurb (the book is Cartoon Action Hour: Season 2 in case you're interested):

Title:
Tagline:
Premise: (should be written up as if you had to explain the premise of a TV in the intro)
Protagonists:
Antagonists:
Setting:

Not gonna work for every kind of campaign, but good for starting simple.

ProfessorPain

First Post
I started DMing back in 1989, and my biggest problem was knowing what to do during overland travel. I understood how to adjudicate it. But I couldn't figure out how to smoothly transition from locale to locale in a believeable way. I also wanted voyages to mean something the way they do in movies and books. It took a while for me to figure out the right balance of narration, player interaction and time elapse. The vital thing is to have interesting sites and scenes along the way. You don't just want to elapse a 40 mile journey. Even if there are no encounters, having SOMETHING for the players to interact with or figure out makes travel more interesting. It could even be as mundane as coming accross an old burial mound or memorial by the side of the road.

Very good point. I actually some really good advice on how to write a short yet informative game intro blurb (the book is Cartoon Action Hour: Season 2 in case you're interested):

Title:
Tagline:
Premise: (should be written up as if you had to explain the premise of a TV in the intro)
Protagonists:
Antagonists:
Setting:

Not gonna work for every kind of campaign, but good for starting simple.

This sounds like a great idea for a document template to be used at a DM/ Player meeting. Its just enough to communicate the idea and see if the players are interested. :)

fba827

Adventurer
should i do modules or create my own adventures?

should i use a published/estalished campaign or do something entirely homebrew?

how do i get the party to know/trust each other at the start (should i tell them to link their backgrounds together before the game or just let them play out their first meeting at the table during the first session?)

Rechan

Adventurer
I want to run a game, but I don't have any players. Where can I find other gamers? (Provide info beyond an FLGS; some places only have the Barnes and Nobles that sells gaming books).

What do I do if the players do something I don't expect and haven't prepared for?

I have a game in a short period of time (tomorrow, today, right now) and I can't think of anything. What should I do?

I just killed all the PCs, what should I do?

What rules cause a lot of problems and disagreements?

How do I handle a problem player? (And how do I do it while staying his friend?)

I've made a bad call (gave a powerful magical item out, let a player use something that's broken, made a rules decision that just isn't working out); how do I take it back?

Last edited:

So, I've compiled this list, and the one I posted another board, and I'm noticing some general trends.

There is a desire for information on the social and mechanical aspects of the game, but the biggest sticky wickets are in world-creation and managing expectations of DMs vs. the expectations of the players.

I should probably have at least three sections, then. One for general FAQ for common situations, One for campaign creation tips, and one for managing the social contract. Does this sound about right?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads