• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are the common features of the best DMs

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
IMHO, a great DM is aware of their own strengths and limitations, and understands how to use their strengths to overcome their limitations. For example, one of the best DM I played under was fantastic at characterizations. He had an amazing command of his voice, his facial expressions, and his body. Moreover, he was capable of switching between characters at a moment's notice. On the flip side, he had a very poor understanding of combat tactics and wrote otherwise dull tactical encounters. Now, many DMs would see this weakness and look at ways to improve their skill. Maybe utilizing published encounters or honing their tactical acumen. Andy didn't. Instead, he accepted this weakness and realized that the time and energy spent improving his tactical skills would be better spent creating interesting personas to interact with. We never just had a combat with 3 by-the-book goblins; we had an encounter with Snarg, Twig, and Grengle - each with their own unique personalities. That made for an entertaining encounter.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
What I personally consider a good DM skill, is good spot light management.

This right here can make up for a lot of other DM failings.

Enthusiasm. Nothing makes or breaks a game like a GM who is really into (or not enthused about) their game. Enthusiasm - and its lack - is catching.

This is a big one too. Showing excitement when player's accomplish something is a really simple and great way to encourage them.

They listen to their players and make adjustments.

Also, one of my favorites because no DM will ever be perfect. This is the one that will ensure a DM continues to get better. It's just as important to veteran and novice DMs alike.

There's a lot of other good points in this thread, but some of them will vary by table preference. I really think these three are universally good tips.

aco175

Legend
Have fun!

Best rule there is. If you are not having fun, you will get bored and the players will pick up on this. Same thing for the players. Some nights I do not feel it and tell the players. We end up doing some background stuff and planning and play cards instead. It does not happen that much and I can see where some players would get upset since they are also not doing other things to play, but it does happen.

Don't be afraid to say no. There was a thread a few weeks back about using Instant Fortress in all sorts of ways by splitting the test. It is great to reward player thinking and try to say yes, but sometimes no is the only way to keep things in check. First you should try and say yes though. The Instant Fortress thread wanted to use it like a sling stone and have it enlarge in mid-air dealing massive damage. You can say no that is not how it is intended or you can say yes but it will break and become worthless.

Get the players to help. Some are motivated and want to assist in things like developing NPCs or henchmen, or even towns and shops. Also tap them to do things like keep track of marching order, initiative, and spell duration.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
A common feature of great DMs is... Not banning certain race/class/feats just because they are OP (in the DM's opinion). Looking at some of the posters here, they would say things like, 'Feats are banned in their games because they are broken!'
Or 'Paladins are nerfed in my games because they are too powerful!' Sometimes I wonder, are they school teachers or DMs? Or just have poor understanding of rules that they can't overcome such minor issues with their vast DM powers?

I've been lucky enough to have played with DMs who allow almost everything. Can't imagine what it is like to be in those DMs who ban every thing that the forums commonly deem as OP.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
A common feature of great DMs is... Not banning certain race/class/feats just because they are OP (in the DM's opinion). ...snip...

I've been lucky enough to have played with DMs who allow almost everything. Can't imagine what it is like to be in those DMs who ban every thing that the forums commonly deem as OP.

Bold emphasis mine. So according to you:
Bad = banning certain things and/or banning everything
Good = allowing almost everything

:confused:

Looking at some of the posters here, they would say things like, 'Feats are banned in their games because they are broken!' Or 'Paladins are nerfed in my games because they are too powerful!' Sometimes I wonder, are they school teachers or DMs? Or just have poor understanding of rules that they can't overcome such minor issues with their vast DM powers?

Like to DM-bash much? Perhaps you missed the point of this thread.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The best DMs:

- can not only hit the curveballs thrown at them by their players, but don't complain when the players throw 'em
- - occasionally throw curveballs back at the players/PCs: "yeah, that stone giant you took down a few adventures ago - well somehow it's come back as a lich and it wants your heads on platters"
- - can run an unprepped game and a prepped game without the players being able to tell the difference
- have an overarching plot or storyline in mind but keep it all malleable or disposable enough that contact with the players doesn't ruin it
- run a living breathing game world where things happen when the PCs aren't around as well as when they are, and with the PCs as an integrated part of it rather than special-snowflake exceptions
- play to win (as in, treat combat as war and don't pull punches) but are able to gracefully lose
- have the nerve to kill off someone's favourite character (or an entire party) if the dice go that way; in other words, are able to follow through on the game's implied bluff
- don't get bent out of shape if the players (in character) decide they want to spend all session arguing with (or killing) each other rather than doing the prepped adventure
- give as much character to their NPCs as players do to their PCs

- and someone else said this but it bears repeating: have a very good poker face.

Lan-"I call your Ranger and raise with a Frost Giant and two Ogres"-efan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads