What are the greatest published adventures you've run?

Darth Solo

Explorer
Ravenloft (I6).

3 times, 2 TPKs. Actually the first run should've been a TPK but my friend was running a Paladin he really, really liked.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
That I have actually run (there are still so many that I want to)...

Right now, running S1 Tomb of Horrors (RPGA/4E but also referencing the orignal). Great, great stuff.

Other then that, my favs in order

I6 Ravenloft (of course)
T1 Village of Hommlet
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
NeMoren's Vault (by Fiery Dragon)
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Sunless Citadel
Thunderspire Labirynth
So I did manage to run some of those classics. New list:

I6 Ravenloft (still of course)
T1 Village of Hommlet
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
S1 Tomb of Horrors
S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
X2 Castle Amber
X1 Isle of Dread
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
B4 The Lost City
The Dancing Hut. Dragon 83
U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
S2 White Plume Mountain
Forge of Fury
B1 In Search of the Unknown

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My personal favorites are 1) Court of the Necromancers from the Al-Qadim Cities of Bone sourcebox; though it's tricky to run, it's an amazing adventure overall and 2) The Portal Under the Stars, which is IMO the absolutely perfect introduction to the Dungeon Crawl Classics game.

Raid on Innsmouth made a terrific capstone adventure for my Escape from Innsmouth campaign, with one PC eaten alive and another driven mad by the revelation of his Deep One ancestry. Not to mention all the action-packed parallel storylines following different investigators each accompanying a different group of (expendable) soldiers or sailors into Innsmouth...

I have also had great fun with Graham Walmsley's various Trail of Cthulhu and Cthulhu Dark scenarios, most notably The Watchers in the Sky, The Rending Box and Screams of the Children.

TheSword

Legend
Without a doubt The Enemy Within. I’ve ran it three times and converted part of it to Pathfinder as well. It has the perfect balance of epic sprawl and extraordinary detail. You could use the elements of it in any campaign Bogenhafen, Wittgenstein Castle, Todbringer’s Court, The Schaffenfest, etc

NPCs are extremely detailed and well thought out. Very fun to play - both villains and potential allies.

Large parts of the game are sandbox but using events to make sure the plot drives forward. Winning and losing are both accounted for in the plot.

Maps and handouts are beautiful.

Shadows over Bogenhafen is the gold standard of mystery & roleplay based adventures. It should be converted to every system and made compulsory for every DM to run at some point early in their career.

All in all, it’s a campaign I would run over and over again.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Village of Homlett
Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Kingmaker
Isle of Dread
Howls in the Night (Ravenloft)
Wrecks Ashore and other of the 3.5 free adventures from WotC

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
The cool remorhaz picture on the back cover of 4e's MM2 has made me want to run G2 for 4e (probably set either on the Abyss or in the Feywild). But my PCs aren't quite at that level yet.
I did this:
https://www.enworld.org/threads/session-report-against-the-frost-giants.358025/

aramis erak

Legend
So... what are your lists of truly great adventures you've run? (Or played in, if you're a player...) And which potentially great adventures do you want to run?

Cheers!
Traveller: Adventure 2 (Research Station Gamma), 3 (Twilight's Peak) and 12 (Secret of the Ancients) - which are functionally an adventture path from 1979-1980... They present a different kind of view of the setting than...
Traveller: The Traveller Adventure. A half-inch thick Letter sized 6 to 18 month campaign, And the campaign that brought the Marches to life for me as a GM.
The combination of those (and they can be worked in together to one even longer campaign) is what brought The Spinward Marches and the 3rd Imperium to life for me.

ALIEN: Chariot of the Gods
ALIEN: Destroyer of Worlds
Both managed to capture the tone of the movie series, both manage to make the adventure interesting, and both have replayability. They both can be as little as 8 to as many as 40 hours of play, depending upon players, their curiosity, and the GM's indulgence in the many side-tracks they allow for.

Pendragon: The Boy King. A campaign spanning up to 100 years... and putting the players into the heart of Greg Stafford's then-vision of Arthur's legendary story...
Pendragon: The Great Pendragon Campaign. Same basics, better details, more adventures and adventure seeds.

WFRP 1E: The Enemy Within.
I'm in my 6th run of it? Yeah. Never had a single party make it all the way through, tho' i've run the whole thing across several runs.

WEG Star Wars: Otherspace and Otherspace II...
These are great for when a party just totally «bleep»s up the astrogation roll.... I've reused them in FFG star wars, too...

Sentinel Comics Starter set. Took me 13 sessions for the 6 included adventures. Teaches the game excellently, and provides several different kinds of adventures. One didn't work for one group, but did for the other group; the other 5 worked well for both groups.

Firefly: The Wedding Planners. Every time I've run it, it had different modes, but in every case, it was a fun time and love triumphed over money and power... thanks to the PCs. And in one case, Vera's twin...

delericho

Legend
If you're asking for those published adventures that I've run that I think are greatest, I'd say "Ravenloft" (the original), "Sunless Citadel", "The Shackled City", "The Shattered Circle", and "Lost Mine of Phandelver".

If you're asking which adventures that are widely considered great that I've run, add "Forge of Fury" and "Isle of Dread" to the list. I also think I've run "Castle Amber", but it was so long ago I've forgotten. For various reasons, none of those would make my personal 'best' list, though in some cases I'm tempted to have another crack at them.

GuyBoy

Hero
The Night Below is awesome.
I also loved running the Giants series (several times over many years), Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and Rappan Athuk.
Caverns of Thracia and Dark Tower are wonderful adventures by the supremely talented Jennell Jacquays.
Being a bit grognardy, I love KotB.
I’ve never actually run The Enemy Within, but I have played in it and, wow, is it great.

Remove ads