• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are the roles of paladin spells?

Reading through this thread, I think people are underappreciating Paladin smite spells. Paladins spells can offer control and defense. Wrathful Smite, for example, is amazing. It takes an action to even attempt to end it with a Wisdom check (not a Wisdom save), and most monsters have weak Wisdom checks. Plus, "A frightened creature has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight. The creature can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear." So if you're a 16th level Paladin (DC 18 w/ Cha 20) and can manage to land Wrathful Smite on an adult red dragon in the first place (+7 to Wisdom saves, so a 50% chance if it fails to use a Legendary Resistance), the dragon can't end the fear unless it either breaks your concentration or spends its action to make a DC 18 Wisdom check at disadvantage (4% success rate).

So the dragon really can't afford to let you land Wrathful Smite, which means it's a great way to burn Legendary Resistance even at high level.

Aura of Vitality is the most cost-effective healing spell in the game, especially when combined via multiclassing with either or both of Extended Spell metamagic (Sorc 3)/Disciple of Life (Life Cleric 1).

Sanctuary (Paladin of Devotion) is always a worthwhile use of your bonus action against a big beast like a dragon to reduce the damage you take by 50%. Cast it after making all your attacks for the turn. Can be overcome by Legendary Resistance but hey, it still burns a Legendary Resistance if so! Note that even if the spell ends on you, it should still (by my reading) be active on your steed, unless your steed has attacked or cast a spell (unlikely).

Paladins have a great spell list overall for 1st-3rd level spells with a terrific action economy. As noted, in critical fights you can always (Wrathful/Thunderous Smite + attack x2 + Divine Smite on every hit) if you really need a nova. Also, Death Ward at 4th level is great.

I haven't done much with high-level Paladins because I find Paladin/Sorcerer so much more compelling, so I don't have useful opinions on 16th+ level pure Paladins or the 5th level Paladin spells except to say "they didn't impress me enough to stay pure Paladin." Circle of Power looks nice on paper but the concentration/action economies on it aren't that great so I'm not sure if it would get cast.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Exactly. One of my players ran a vengeance paladin a while ago]. he smited almost all the time. occasional heal when the party didn't have a cleric for a couple of levels. only time i remember any other spell being used was branding smite against an invisible enemy.
That's exactly the problem.

Paladin spells are wasted space and awkward design.

You pretty much always burn spells for smites, except for when you need to heal.

Why bother with a spell list?

Just have a smite pool with extra effects to choose from as you level and a decent lay on hands ability.

marcelvdpol

Explorer
The paladin strikes a balance between martial prowess (where on pure martial prowess it loses to the fighter and barbarian) and divine magic (where it loses to the cleric and druid).

While the paladin doesnt get as many spell slots as a full caster, the spells are good quality for their level. The paladin has plenty of choises for its spell loadout, depending on what the party needs. Increase paladin damage output with the Smite spells and the damage increasing auras. Backup healing with Lay on Hands, restorations, healing word etc. Party buffs with Bless (one of the best spells at level 1), some of the aura's etc. You can even have a bit of control with thr vengeance paladin.

However, you shouldnt think of the paladin as a spellcaster first; in terms of magic it cannot compare to the cleric, druid or wizard. However, the paladin doesnt have to measure up to those classes; it is its own unique bland of martial prowess and divine spellcasting. Having a paladin dish out huge amounts of damage in a single round using smites it really great to watch.

Thr unique features of the paladin aura's are to the benefit of the whole party; any party would be glad to have a paladin in their party for the diversity and benefits the paladin provides to the rest of the party.

Only thing the paladin is really bad at is ranged damage. It can throw javelins but that is about it.

Satyrn

First Post
Yes, I know. The problem is that we're not really facing many large groups. It's mostly big guys with maybe a few minions. And of course everyone always wants to take out the big guy first.
y'know, several of your posts about this leave me with the impression that you're trying not to step on your fellow players' toes while feeling like they are willing to step on yours. When you cast compelled duel, does the rest of your just ignore that and attack your foe anyway?

pukunui

Legend
Holy thread necro, [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]!
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION]: Just FYI: I'm no longer playing this character. The campaign finished ages ago.

pukunui

Legend
For the record, I ended up having a hell of a lot of fun with this character. We made it all the way to level 20 and then some (got an epic boon or two). We were playing through Age of Worms, but the DM changed up the end a bit so we had to fight a worm-riddled tarrasque. It was a wild ride!

Remove ads