• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are the roles of paladin spells?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In the Unearthed Arcana article on Modifying Classes, the roles of the ranger's spells were list, analyzed, and explained. This was done in order to understand what spellcasting did for the class and what would have to be added to replace it if stripped away.

In the article, it was explained that the roles of ranger spells were:

• A lot of exploration utility
  • A lot of combat prowess
  • some healing
  • some restoration
  • some control effects

Also it was explained that many times that's all the class got so spellcasting filled dead levels. So the spell-less ranger got a damage and control boost via superiority die, healing and restoration from poultices, and whatever call natural allies is... utility I guess... with random monkeys.

As for the paladin, the importance of spells were explained. It is also explained that the class was designed to burn spell slots via Divine Smite. But what are the purpose of the spells slots which are not burned for radiant wrath to their enemies.

Not being a paladin expert, I don't know. And all the paladin's I encountered... bravely headed the line so others could live. They were gone too soon to really see their actual spells.

What are the roles of paladin spells and how important are each of them?

Raith5

Adventurer
I am not a super fan of the tradeoff between divine smite and spells (at least till 11th level). It reminds me of the 4e barbarian with rage - where you have to choose between interesting/useful things and class defining things. So I choose to be a Fighter/Cleric in my 5e campaign to be a better healer.

pukunui

Legend
The Ancients paladin I'm playing is one of five PCs, and she's a recent recruit (replacement for my previous character). We're all 16th level, and I have to say that, as fun as she is, it's been difficult for me to find a niche for her.

The wizard has the big blasty effects covered, so my only AoE attack spell - ice storm - is somewhat pointless.

The druid and the cleric have healing and buffing mostly covered, although I can still chip in via Lay on Hands and aura of vitality and the like from time to time.

The cleric and wizard can both cast banishment, so there's not much point in me prepping that spell. The cleric is a tempest cleric, so she even gets destructive wave (and before my paladin does).

Between the druid and the fact that we're mostly fighting big things like giants and dragons these days, stuff like Nature's Wrath, ensnaring strike and plant growth aren't all that useful either because it's too easy for the targets to make their saves.

Compelled duel isn't so useful because we're frequently up against a single opponent, and the others don't want to just stand around while I get all the fun.

She can't even outshine the others as a tank because the monk and the cleric both have ACs nearly as high as hers (23 vs 24) and plenty of hit points. The druid's pretty booty too. The cleric just got a belt of fire giant strength too, so her player says he's going to be having her wade into melee more with her new 25 Strength.

The only place where my character really shines is with her auras. Immunity to fear, resistance to spell damage, and +5 to all saves is nothing to sneeze at. Of course, you have to be within 10 feet of her to get that but eventually it'll spread to 30 feet.

I guess you could say she's also the party face, with the best Charisma and social skill modifiers in the game, though the other players generally don't let me do much of the talking ...

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
Paladin could shine in small party compositions, fewer players needing to fill more roles. Also paladin is the only one whose spell list includes find steed... Check that out it is really powerful spell. Imo the only class who can take most out of mounted combat feat is paladin because of that spell.

pukunui

Legend
That reminds me that I haven't had much need to use find steed either - generally because we're teleporting or wind walking or whatever. I am hoping that the DM will eventually let me summon a pegasus with it. That would be pretty cool.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Fueling smites and the occasional heal.

You could make them spell less by just giving them X smites per day, more lay on hands healing, and summon mount.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Imo they could get smite x per short rest. Something like up to 3 times per short rest thorough their career. This of course assuming removal of spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads