• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading in 2024?

I've woken myself up by dropping my book or Kindle onto my nose. The latter is surprisingly impactful over short distances.
One of several reasons I try not to read in bed. These days I generally try to do some game-related writing just before killing the lights and let my brain chew on further ideas as I drop off. Once in a while it coughs up something good enough to make me sit up and add some notes by hand light.

Clint_L

Legend
Just finished The Elusive Shift by Jon Peterson. I enjoyed it, but I feel like I might have gotten more out of it if I didn't read it right before bed at night (I have a tendency to fall asleep midparagraph, wake up, and continue reading, which is often suboptimal for comprehension, even if my wife finds it amusing). My immediate takeaway was that we seem to be having a lot of (all of) the same conversations now that folks had fifty years ago. I'm not sure whether this is interesting or depressing.
I've been meaning to read this book, so after reading your post I went to Amazon to see if it is finally available on Kindle. It is...and apparently I already bought it. Weird. Anyhow, thanks for the reminder!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Still on my rhythm, though there was a little hiccup: I was not able to finish The Fast Red Road, a Plainsong by Stephen Graham Jones; I tapped out after somewhere around 100 pages of looping pointless stoner prose--I'm happy it was a successful PhD dissertation, though I cannot for the life of me see how.

The last three books I've finished: What Never Happened by Rachel Howzell Hall, a pretty straightforward thriller centered on Black isolation surrounded by Whites, with a POV who exudes strong Unreliable Narrator Energy; American Gods by Neil Gaiman, a book with lots of Easter eggs for myth nerds that I found to be ultimately thematically hollow (if still worth reading); Razor Girl by Carl Hiassen, wacky Florida crime stuff, fun to read, with a surprisingly strong moral stance.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
American Gods by Neil Gaiman, a book with lots of Easter eggs for myth nerds that I found to be ultimately thematically hollow (if still worth reading)
For me, Gaiman can be a tricky author — stylistically, I feel like he's quite good, but I've often felt that his work is slight. It's exceedingly readable and often very enjoyable, but sometimes there's no there there.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm a little more than half-way through Dungeon Crawler Carl. It's hilarious and sad. But mostly violent. And hilarious. Hilariously violent even.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I've woken myself up by dropping my book or Kindle onto my nose. The latter is surprisingly impactful over short distances.
I always read in bed laying on my side, so my nose is safe. But if I doze off while reading a hefty tome and drop it on the floor, I risk waking up my wife who doesn't enjoy that particular way of getting her sleep interrupted. I've searched the web for some kind of flexible book cover padding to soften the sound of impact, but no luck so far.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads