Votes: 8 6.3%

Laurefindel

Legend
my buying habit? I usually goes like this:

1) get excited about the initial announcements
2) raise my expectations too high after the first previews
3) get disappointed by the second release of previews
4) wait until a few reviews are out before buying it
5) get more disappointed and disillusioned about first chatters i see on internet
6) complain
7) buy the book anyway
8) read the said book and actually like it

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
my buying habit? I usually goes like this:

1) get excited about the initial announcements
2) raise my expectations too high after the first previews
3) get disappointed by the second release of previews
4) wait until a few reviews are out before buying it
5) get more disappointed and disillusioned about first chatters i see on internet
6) complain
7) buy the book anyway
8) read the said book and actually like it
Similar pattern here. Nice to be pleasantly surprised

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
Is there an option for "buy every book in both standard and special editions along with the DnDBeyond version"? I didn't see it but ... uhh ... I'd check it if it were there. Shut up, I don't have a problem, you do!

::sobs into 3rd spare copy of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, you know, the one for crying into::

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Like others here....I buy the generic rule and monster books but do not buy any adventures or setting books. Except Heros of Baldies Gate, which I bought to read because I love the videogame, not for use in my tabletop game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Another option: I buy both hard copies and digital copies of almost all non-adventure books, and also with those adventure books I plan on running. With COVID and the shift to digital tabletop away from face to face, I find myself buying double copies, which kinda sucks but it is what it is.

Puddles

Adventurer
My 5e collection is very small.

• 3 Corebooks
  • Rime of the Frostmaiden (not directly using it, but running a winter themed campaign so mining it for ideas)
  • Strongholds & Followers by Matt Coville. I don’t use anything in this book, (don’t rate the contents all that much), just a long time fan of his channel (and remain so).

I feel like I have everything I need to run my current campaign to conclusion. I would be interested in a 5e ‘Book of Challenges’ style book.

I have everything save the Rick and Marty book. Even got Tasha (the alternate cover at that) from my players as a joke but beside a few things that I will never use the book is not as bad as I first thought it would be.

What I do buy are the reprints of the books (such as strahd). I already have it. One is enough.

I have typically focused on only buying the supplemental rulebooks but... as of late have been intrigued enough to pick up a few setting/adventure books, too -- like Ghosts of Saltmarsh, not only for an excellent series of adventures but also for the nautical mechanics and monsters; ERftLW for the various shiny new player options and expanded bestiary; and Wildemount, well, because my son thought it was cool and he invoked Parks and Rec "Treat Yo' Self" when we were in a bookstore on vacation.

Addendum (inspired by @Puddles, although I had initially taken this thread to be for official WotC material only)

Non-WotC books bought include:
  • Tome of Beasts 1&2 and Creature Codex - I now have more monsters than I could ever use... yet if WotC or Kobold Press release another one, I'm in.
  • Strongholds and Followers - Got caught up in the hype for this. Don't get me wrong, I like MCDM and what they do for the hobby, but I found the Strongholds rules in this a bit convoluted. We did use some of the Followers in our last campaign, the rules for which provide an interesting and simple alternative to party NPCs or Sidekicks. I'll probably try out the adventure at some point, too.
  • Ruins of the Grendleroot and Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master - Mike Shea is a great contributor to this community. Ruins has some fantastic adventures, one of which I adapted for our last campaign. Return has great tips for new and experienced DMs alike and you can get the PDF for just $7. I keep... erm... returning to it and picking up new ways to make my prep more efficient and valuable.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases