What are your recruiting standards for your F2F games?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Are you my friend already? Can I talk you into playing Dungeons & Dragons with me?

That's the extent. I have ground rules for in-game behavior (no PvP, for one) but that's about it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Do you also ban non-binary people, FWIW?
Thanks for the shout out! My guess, judging from past content from this particular author, is that folx like me probably don't run in the same social circles, and would likely elicit exclusionary reactions for reasons other than unhealthy jealousy if we were hoping for a seat at the table.

Which, honestly? That's totally cool with me. You all run your home games however you want, with whomever you want (or don't want). Saves folx like me the time and trouble of learning the hard way that we're going to be in for an unpleasant experience.

Greg K

Legend
Step 1. Do I like/get you along with you?
Step 2. Will my friends/players like you? In the rare occasion, that we do have an opening, my friends are the one's introducing new players after having told them about the type of game. In which case,, it goes back to step 1.
Step 3. Informally interview the potential player, Even if I like you as a person, I may not want to game with you. With regards to D&D (or any fantasy rpg (e.g. Rolemaster, Warhammer, Tiny Dungeons, GURPS Fantasy, etc.), things I want to know include the following (not a complete list):
a. What kind of fantasy do you like with your D&D and what were your fantasy influences?
b. What kind of fantasy do you dislike with your D&D?
c. How important is combat? Can you go a session or two without combat (and not sulk).?How important is optimizing for combat to you? Can you sacrifice some combat power for other campaign/setting considerations?
d. How important is power gaming (either playing to accumulate power or have a powerful character in game terms)? How important is optimization towards that? What do you consider weak or unplayable (e.g. in terms of ability scores)? Can you sacrifice some power gaming optimization for other campaign/setting considerations?
e. How important is story creation where player decisions, character goals, and actions influence the direction as opposed to being told "a pre-established story" or following a pre-established adventure path?
f. How important is setting exploration? (this kind of ties in with one or two of the above questions (e.g. combat importance)/
g. What is your feeling on playing in a campaign setting with pre-defined deities, races, cultures, nations, religions, and major organizations (e.g. clerical orders with tailored spell lists) that can limit certain starting choices?
h. Are you ok with human only campaigns?
i. Are you ok with Tolkien PC race campaigns?
j. Are you ok with the DM limiting/tailoring race choices for a specific campaign setting?
k . Do you require the "Star Wars Cantina" with lots of race options?
l. Are you ok with no Dragonborn, Drow, Tieflings?
m. Are you fine with specific PHB races, classes, subclasses, feats, and or spells being disallowed if you are informed of house and setting rules prior to character creation?
m. Are you ok, with disallowing official non-core options (SCAG, Xanathar's, Tasha's) or the DMs limiting the used options even if you bought the book? What if their are other additional third party option some of which may approach a race or class differently from an official WOTC product?
n. Are you ok with not being guaranteed to multi-class or multi-class following a pre-established build based upon in game events?
o. What is your feeling on evil PCs?
p. Can you handle, occasionally, being out of a scene for up to 5-10 minutes (depending upon how the group splits up) if you know that you will get your own spotlight time?
q. Are you ok with not playing under the influence of drugs or alcohol ? Being limited to smoking (tobacco) or vaping outside?
r. How open are you adapting to how things are run?

Last edited:

Remove ads