• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E what are your top three "$#%#@$ stop forgetting this rule" annoyances?

cmad1977

Hero
In Star Wars, we did see this kind of dynamic - saving the points for big spends at the end of the level. And... we liked that.

It allows for a bit of a crescendo of action when you approach a level-transition. For a genre that's based on "episodes", that's actually a feature, not a bug.

Also, not using your inspiration until the end means you’re making the meaningful decision to suffer negative outcomes... until the end!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I didn't realize this was even a thing until I hit it as well. I have a player who's PC is 5th level, I had to remind him to make two attacks per turn. I've given up on reminding him he has action surge, maneuvers (I only know he's a BattleMaster because I shared my DndBeyond account) and can use a healing surge as a bonus action.

He's always "saving" things for later.
I’ve had some success breaking players out of the “saving things for later” mindset by framing it in terms of “a resource not used before the next rest is a resource wasted.” I remember back during 4e that revelation totally changed the way I played. Before, I had tried only to use encounter and daily powers when I “really needed them” and actually felt a sense of accomplishment when I got through an encounter having used nothing but at-will powers. At a certain point though, I realized that since my encounter powers came back every encounter, there was no reason not to try to use them all up every fight, and likewise I should try to use up all my daily powers before the end of the day, which generally meant I could use about one Daily per encounter.

Years later, DMing 5e, I recognized the same behavior in a player who was playing a Monk. I noticed that she never seemed to use her Ki points, like, at all. When I asked why, she said she was saving them for a more important fight. Having once been of this mindset myself, I pointed out that they recover on a short rest, and that the party was usually able to take a short rest after about two encounters, so if she used less than half her Ki points every encounter, the rest were just going to waste. After that she started using them, sparingly at first, but over time as more short rests got taken with her still having plenty of Ki points left over, she started using them more and more. She never reached the point where she would consistently run out between short rests, but she did perform significantly better in combat.

Larrin

Entropic Good
the one that took people I played with the most time to learn was the "bonus action spells mean you can only cast cantrips if you want to use your action to cast a spell". It isn't that complex of a rule, but it was years before people got it right, and even now when they do it correctly they still ask "is that right?"

Nebulous

Legend
the one that took people I played with the most time to learn was the "bonus action spells mean you can only cast cantrips if you want to use your action to cast a spell". It isn't that complex of a rule, but it was years before people got it right, and even now when they do it correctly they still ask "is that right?"

Yeah, that one can be a little hard at first to explain to new players, i can see their eyebrows furrow in WTH are you talking about?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It’s not terribly complicated, but it is really weird. It’s the only time where using a bonus action restricts your action, and the way it restricts it is weird. If it was just “you can only cast one non-cantrip spell per turn” it would be almost functionally identical and much easier to remember IMO.

Coroc

Hero
Rangers colossus slayer only works on mobs already hurt, that one was easy to remember but due to some missreading / fast reading i thought it works on every attack / rd. it only does for 1 for several sessions.

Also sometimes forgot to check concentration for hunters mark needing a recast if hit and botched the roll.

Coroc

Hero
Ah here is another, if your players got SS or GWM and there is someone in the group who can cast bless this should be his first action, so that the heavy hitters do not miss. The only excuse is if e.g. cleric uses spiritual guardians instead :p

Not my own players, but these constantly come up in the podcast games I listen to.

Ready Action. Nobody does this right, and it's insanely counter intuitive, so I completely understand why so many people mess this up. Constantly. I hates it, precious.

Spells. I love spells. It wouldn't be DND without spells. But at least one person in every group podcast seems to consistently, inevitably, inexorably not know what their spells do.

Concentration cantrips. People constantly forget and cast them while concentrating on more important spells. Get rid of concentration on cantrips. Maybe someone would actually take true strike.

Point #1) Spell components...I love 'em*, but they rarely see game play because of spell component pouches and arcane focuses.

My warlock recently lost his arcane focus, and in the campaign we're playing, I don't think he'll be finding another one or a spell component pouch.**

So, I looked into his nine spells and found that only four of them require material spell components:

1. A wing feather from any bird. Not a sure thing, but this is something that can often be found on the ground.
2. A pickled octopus tentacle. Yeah, I don't think I'll be finding that just lying around.
3. A cup of water. Hmm...maybe cups will become scarce.
4. A jeweled horn or a glass eye worth 100 gold. This brings me to point number 2.

Point #2) Costly spell components...I love 'em*, but players rarely ever know about them--and they tend to get upset when you point it out.

I plan on having fun with my warlock's new found interest in spell components. It's not a big deal. He has to choose nine spells known but with only two spell slots he rarely uses half of them. Those he does use often are verbal and somatic. But, I'll have giggle when he can't find a bird feather on the ground to save his life. It's a good thing one of his companions is some sort of wereraven who can fly.

* I know you don't, but that's not the point here.
** Again, not the point.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Oof. I know. Sometimes, when people complain that the poor ol' Champion, and even the Battlemaster or various types of Barbarian are just way too simple for any regular player ...

I have to wonder if they've gotten out much. Because, you know, people.

I voted to keep the Brute for this reason. It's a pity that people have such sensitive toes.

Remove ads