D&D 5E What "attack"-oriented cantrips do you like the most?

What 3 "attack"-oriented cantrips do you like the most?

• Acid Splash

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Booming Blade

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Chill Touch

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Create Bonfire

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Eldritch Blast

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Fire Bolt

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Frostbite

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Green-Flame Blade

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Infestation

• Lightning Lure

• Poison Spray

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Primal Savagery

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Produce Flame

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Ray of Frost

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Sacred Flame

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Shocking Grasp

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Sword Burst

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thorn Whip

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Thunderclap

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Toll the Dead

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Vicious Mockery

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • Word of Radiance

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Magic Stone

• Shillelagh

Votes: 7 7.4%

Debatable.

Sure, sorcerers (once they get EB) have metamagics to bump it, but at best that makes them pretty even with Warlock with Agonizing Blast. So, I wouldn't say they are getting "more benefit" from it. Also, the Warlock's boost is always on once selected, the sorcerer requires the expense of limited resources.
I guess my point is: a class feature synergizing well for multiclassing isn't really a dig at the feature. Shillelagh isn't a core druid ability, it's a backup weapon in case they get in close and don't have/want to use spell slots to get away.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I guess my point is: a class feature synergizing well for multiclassing isn't really a dig at the feature. Shillelagh isn't a core druid ability, it's a backup weapon in case they get in close and don't have/want to use spell slots to get away.
Ok, I can see that point. Since the game was designed with MC as an option, you don't get the synergizing aspect as the baseline.

But, one of my PCs is a druid with PAM and shield/staff, so I love being able to make 2 attacks per turn with +4 bonuses, getting the d8 for a versatile staff without actually having to use both hands, etc. I find it makes for a great melee druid.

Ok, I can see that point. Since the game was designed with MC as an option, you don't get the synergizing aspect as the baseline.

But, one of my PCs is a druid with PAM and shield/staff, so I love being able to make 2 attacks per turn with +4 bonuses, getting the d8 for a versatile staff without actually having to use both hands, etc. I find it makes for a great melee druid.
Oh no, it's a darn good spell. It just doesn't make you a gish all in one go. You need to add something. Like, in your example, PAM.

(This is also why it's a top-tier choice for Tomelocks - they get to key it off charisma.)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Oh no, it's a darn good spell. It just doesn't make you a gish all in one go. You need to add something. Like, in your example, PAM.

(This is also why it's a top-tier choice for Tomelocks - they get to key it off charisma.)
Yeah, Tomelocks love themselves the Shillelagh! :)

FYI, going the quick math, the Sorcerer (on average over all 20 levels) gets to about 85% the damage potential of the Warlock using EB. So, it is certainly a good take for them, and of course one of the reasons why why Sorlock is so used by many.

Remove ads