D&D 5E What "attack"-oriented cantrips do you like the most?

What 3 "attack"-oriented cantrips do you like the most?

• Acid Splash

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Booming Blade

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Chill Touch

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Create Bonfire

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Eldritch Blast

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Fire Bolt

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Frostbite

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Green-Flame Blade

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Infestation

• Lightning Lure

• Poison Spray

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Primal Savagery

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Produce Flame

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Ray of Frost

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Sacred Flame

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Shocking Grasp

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Sword Burst

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thorn Whip

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Thunderclap

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Toll the Dead

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Vicious Mockery

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • Word of Radiance

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Magic Stone

• Shillelagh

Votes: 7 7.4%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Pointless semantics. If my warlock casts magic stone & then misses the attack roll from the sling? It's exactly the same effect as if I'd missed an attack roll with one of the other cantrips. No hit/no damage.
It wasn't pointless to me. And since I was the one who took the time to post the poll, I had my reasons for learning what cantrips other people favor (for whatever reason). But, I decided to add them, so why are you complaining?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Druid can make it scale by acquiring Booming Blade.

Shillelagh is great for warlocks, bards, monks and rangers as well as clerics.
Druids don't get Booming Blade and none of those classes get Shillelagh. So, for any of them to "make it scale" need to take the Magic Initiate feat or to multiclass. Doesn't sound like a good argument for how good they are.

Don't get me wrong, I actually voted for both of them because I do think they are good and I like the flavor of them.

Druids don't get Booming Blade and none of those classes get Shillelagh. So, for any of them to "make it scale" need to take the Magic Initiate feat or to multiclass. Doesn't sound like a good argument for how good they are.

Don't get me wrong, I actually voted for both of them because I do think they are good and I like the flavor of them.
Even without using optional rules a high elf druid can grab Booming Blade. Tomelocks, Lorebards and Nature Clerics can get Shillelagh via a class feature.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Druid can make it scale by acquiring Booming Blade.

Shillelagh is great for warlocks, bards, monks and rangers as well as clerics.
Maybe it is, but it is a cantrip native to the druid and they are the class that get the least benefit from it. Having to pick up a cantrip from outside the class kind of proves my point that it isn't a good cantrip for the druid.

Maybe it is, but it is a cantrip native to the druid and they are the class that get the least benefit from it. Having to pick up a cantrip from outside the class kind of proves my point that it isn't a good cantrip for the druid.
Or, it becomes more powerful than originally intended when combined with other abilities.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Even without using optional rules a high elf druid can grab Booming Blade. Tomelocks, Lorebards and Nature Clerics can get Shillelagh via a class feature.
So, one race (out of all of them) playing Druid can get Booming Blade...
And one subclass of Warlock, Bard (using Magical Secrets for that? seriously?), Cleric, out of all there subclasses can get Shillelah...

Ok, sure, there are usually exceptions, but it still stands that the general classes would need to take Magical Initiate to get those cantrips.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Exactly. It would be like another class can somehow getting more benefit out of EB than Warlocks can!

rgoodbb

Adventurer
While I agree that Shillelagh isn't great for a Druid. Primal Savagery scales and is more base damage, and even Thorn Whip can be used in melee as well as being excellent at-will control at range. I would, have and do take those two over Shillelagh any time and every time for my Druids. (I like Druids)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Like sorcerers?
Debatable.

Sure, sorcerers (once they get EB) have metamagics to bump it, but at best that makes them pretty even with Warlock with Agonizing Blast. So, I wouldn't say they are getting "more benefit" from it. Also, the Warlock's boost is always on once selected, the sorcerer requires the expense of limited resources.

Remove ads