• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Campaign Setting Do You Plan On Using?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
As we get closer to the PHB launch, I find myself trying to figure out what campaign setting I want to use for my first go with 5E. I have never really been a huge fan of the Realms, but at the same time I don't dislike it and there is something to be said for having the setting "baked in" to the core game. That said, I like Eberron a lot and am tempted to use it, even though I would have to re-purchase a bunch of stuff on D&D Classics since I sold it years ago. There are also a few d20 era 3rd party settings I like -- the Scarred Lands was fun and Kingdoms of Kalamar is a solid D&D setting. Of course, there's also a handful of my own home brew settings I wouldn't mind revisiting, including a D&Dified post-Roman Britain, a fantasy, temperate post apocalypse Antarctica, and a "New World" colonial era fantasy America with flintlocks and cyclopean ruins.

So, what do you plan on using, or what are you hemming and hawing over like I am?

Wolfskin

Explorer
I'll go with the Realms, as I haven't used the setting a lot, I haven't been exposed to most of the novels and other related media, and my players aren't Realms-lawyers.

Ritorix

First Post
I'll probably run ToD in the Realms, I run a lot of Realms anyway. Ravenloft seems to really fit 5e's style for some reason too.

What I really want is to run some Dark Sun. I've already written up the setting for 5e, with defiling rules and divine magic adjustments and whatnot, I just need to make some tweaks for when the PHB comes out. The big thing holding that back is lack of psionics, so I'll probably just go without it being a PC thing for now and leave it to NPCs/monsters.

seregil

First Post
Forgotten Realms but the 'Old Gray box', ie. First edition with the clear and precise statement to my players that only campaign setting, FR1, FR3 and FR5 are canon. No mythals, no 7 sisters, no nothing and Elmister is just another powerful wizard, nothing more.

I'm running Pathfinder at the moment and we have at least another year to go until the end of the campaign. At that time, if I convert to 5E, I will stay in the same campaign, just new rules.

Tormyr

Hero
Currently we are playing a 5e conversion of Age of Worms, so we are in Greyhawk. After that, I think we might do a modified version of Spelljammer.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Been feverishly working on my own setting Teleria (Still not 100% on the name), was planning on using it with 13th age, but I'll probably use it with 5e now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads