• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Campaign Setting Do You Plan On Using?

Lord Blackstone

First Post
I am planning on taking the group on a massive Multiverse adventure. Rod of the Seven Parts will be it focus... One part in each world....

Forgotten Realms to start... Dragonlance (Taladas)... Ravenloft... Greyhawk... Darksun... Eberron... Planescape to finish... or Tyranny of Dragons in the Realms if its works for me...

I just want to show my players the size and scope of the Dungeons and Dragons Multiverse....

also I should be adding some Spelljammers into the mix...

carmachu

Adventurer
As we get closer to the PHB launch, I find myself trying to figure out what campaign setting I want to use for my first go with 5E. I have never really been a huge fan of the Realms, but at the same time I don't dislike it and there is something to be said for having the setting "baked in" to the core game. That said, I like Eberron a lot and am tempted to use it, even though I would have to re-purchase a bunch of stuff on D&D Classics since I sold it years ago. There are also a few d20 era 3rd party settings I like -- the Scarred Lands was fun and Kingdoms of Kalamar is a solid D&D setting. Of course, there's also a handful of my own home brew settings I wouldn't mind revisiting, including a D&Dified post-Roman Britain, a fantasy, temperate post apocalypse Antarctica, and a "New World" colonial era fantasy America with flintlocks and cyclopean ruins.

So, what do you plan on using, or what are you hemming and hawing over like I am?

I want to see what the new adventure is like tyranny of dragons first......but I don't like the realms. I'm torn between Hellfrost and Greyhawk.

Planescape

After that, not sure but we have plenty of ideas. Either a Forgotten Realms global artifact hunting group (like the old Jeff Grubb comic book series) or my kids saw the Bastion Press Doom Striders and Airships books and have been begging to use those. Might be fun to work into a 5e Eberron or homebrew or something.

Quickleaf

Legend
Also Planescape for me. I am making the plane of Bytopia friggin' awesome!

Despite being skeptical of WotC's adventures, I have tremendous respect for Wolfgang Baur as a writer, so if I hear good things about the Tiamat adventures I may check those out. His "Assassin Mountain" for AL-QADIM was just awesome :)

jbear

First Post
Not planning to run 5e at this stage but if I did I would use my homebrew world that is a crumbling Forgotten Realms becoming more and more Ravenloft-esque as the Shadowfell seeps through the cracks of reality.

My players are not RPG regulars (Don't visit online forums, don't buy rulebooks etc., just show up to play and have fun). Where we left our campaign when we moved overseas they had just freed Strahd and helped him to defeat the so called 'Beast' that was vampirising the city (adapted House on Gryphon Hill to 4e stealing from other modules here there and everywhere) and provoking the nearing of the Shadowfell and the subsequent rampages as monstrous Shadowfell creatures slipped through and began wreaking havoc city wide.

So basically they have no clue as to who Strahd von Zarovich might be (other than a poor alchemist who was used as a pawn to operate the Aparatus used to switch the citizens of the town into the body of undead creatures, while switching the souls of those undead into their human bodies). Hehehehehehe. Strahd also didn't remember his identity when they first met as he had a splinter of the dead goddess Mystra lodged in his skull from his failed experiment using the Aparatus to free his master Cyric, the Mad God, from his celestial prison (where he was held for his crime of murdering Mystra). He was suffering some god almighty headaches though and amnesia, and upon investigation the PCs decided to take him to the town's surgeon to have him helped (keen to get information from him). Hehehehe. Totally their idea. They had the shard removed ... and now Strahd remembers! Dan dan daaaaa! Only he's not telling... (not the important parts anyway). We left things after their 'victory', after he had just sent them off on a mission!

Ahhhhh, they are now working for Strahd von Zarovich! God, I have some fond memories! Sigh* Oh well, moving back in about 5 months so it will be all on again after 3 years break!

So yeah, if I was going to switch to 5e the PHB and DMG would have to prove robust enough with its options for me to:

a) reconstruct similarly heroic character builds for the just reached paragon level PCs (Goliath Fighter, Dwarven Cleric, Drow Sorceror, Elf Ranger/Shaman Hybrid, Shifter Fighter/Ranger Hybrid). Obviously rules for shifters and goliaths won't be available but enough info available to be able to convert races and classes decently well.

b) have a good tactical battle module which I could use to' turn up the dial to AWESOME MODE when I want to play out memorable and cinematic battle scenes with full on interaction with terrain, positioning, traps and skill challenge type scenarios going on simultaneously. (I like the fact that minor less significant battles can be short and sharp, but I would not be satisfied with this simple system being the limit always).

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm going to be playing in a Realms game, plan on running a Gygaxian Greyhawk game (1983 boxed set), and might help out at Encounters for Tyranny of Dragons.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads