D&D 5E What can my character lie about?

PnPgamer

Explorer
When you talk about your history, It can be pretty much anything.
"You know, before i was a stage actor... got so much poontang its not even funny."
"Have I told about the time when I was a secret agent of the harpers? Infiltrating the Zhents got boring after a while, though"
"I used to be a high class sports runner... but then i got an arrow to the knee"
"I am a cousin of Elminster. But umm... we are not in good terms."

Herobizkit

Adventurer
You know those office workers who always have a "Me too" story and somehow it's always worse for them?

Friend: "I slipped and fell on some ice. I twisted my ankle something fierce."
Me too: "Yeah, I put my back out trying to shovel."

Also, anytime you see someone doing something, assert the fact that you could do a better job and faster, too.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Think about if you want to lie to the other PCs or just to NPCs. If the PCs know that you are lying to them, the other players might not find it so funny after a while.

I think telling the other players that your character is a liar is a good idea. I played in a game with a shapeshifter PC who used aliases and different guises instead of his natural one. I didn't have an issue with the shapeshifter's paranoia but it caused a bit of a rift in the party because another player was really irked by it. The other player went out of his way to catch the shapeshifter in a lie. Perhaps the other player's concerns could have been assuaged with a frank discussion from the shapeshifter's player that his aliases were for character flavor and he would otherwise be loyal and forthright with the party. A similar reassurance from you could be a valuable preventive measure to not alienate the other players.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I played with someone once who used a different name with every PC, and all of them lies. We eventually settled on one to call her, but it still wasn't her name.

SunGold

First Post
Everytime he bring up the price of something, raise it, à la G.O.B. and his suit in that one episode of Arrested Development.

[video=youtube;81Nl7VYFEaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Nl7VYFEaI[/video]

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't think I would enjoy playing as much if someone else was playing such a character. Lie to NPC's all you want. Lying to the party and the other PC's is not fun for them.

What type of character is it? What is your class?

This will color the types of things of you lie about. Suppose you are a thief? Your role in the group is to scout ahead, look for traps, etc.

" Hey (liar character), any traps on that door?"

"Um.. nope, all good there. Checked it real good I did." :p

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What type of character is it? What is your class?

This will color the types of things of you lie about. Suppose you are a thief? Your role in the group is to scout ahead, look for traps, etc.

" Hey (liar character), any traps on that door?"

"Um.. nope, all good there. Checked it real good I did." :p

Which for many groups would not be remotely fun if there was a trap behind that door and he lied about it.

Rune

Once A Fool
Telling fantastical stories is fun. Spinning a good yarn about your teammates is even better. I know someone who does this in real life. Wonderful storyteller. Total BS.

Remove ads