• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What characters are you thinking about running?

Dawn Raven

First Post
Don't flood them with too many leaders ^.~ Or I just may have to change my submission to my rogue hehe.

EDIT: Nice background, Lord Sessadore. Perhaps for your kicker, one of the legion is sent to look for you after the portal is opened. Maybe a friend from a former military brigade or some such.

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Thanks, Dawn Raven :) I just read Les' background, and I have to say it looks pretty awesome! I'm always nervous when I put together a background, I'm always the DM for my group, so PbP is the first time I've ever really had a PC. I never think I'll have any good ideas or that it won't be very long... and then I end up with these huge novels :blush:

I like your idea for my kicker ... but now I'm torn. I came up with one just before I fell asleep last night - before Raiyek's parents became elves and the Veritas was formed, they had another child, a daughter. But the daughter didn't follow them, so they disowned her and never mentioned her to him. So Raiyek has a much, much older eladrin sister living somewhere in the Imperium, but doesn't even know she exists.

Dawn Raven

First Post
There's no reason you can't have multiple ones! Although, if you plan to adventure in and around Daunton you might want to make it so that your sister actually travelled over into this area instead of staying in the Imperium. That way, a DM could say, arrange to have their adventure perhaps given to you with her as the client. Hah! Imagine that, you could end up adventuring for your sister, with neither realizing their blood-related but still distinctly different races.

I usually DM too but I think that only spurs creativity when it comes to making PCs. For many of my games I make these short stories for NPCs that only end up dying. I hate the idea of a DMPC so what I do is set up interesting characters as enemies. Everytime the group gets a magic item it has a history and a person attached to it. For example, I'm soloing a game for a friend and he's going to be getting a +1 Distance Longbow. The longbow is in the possession of this young boy mercenary in the next fight his party is in. The mercenary is an enemy but I wrote up this short background for him and plan to drop little bits here and there. Such as the bow having a carving of a minotaur skull on it [the boy's family was killed by minotaur savages and he hunts them as a side profession]. Ah..I digress.

By the way, you can start RPing in the tavern before your PC is approved. Come join us! A couple of us are already RPing in the Hanging Man.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yes, I think I'm gonna go with multiple kickers ;) I really like the idea of the sister being on this side of the portal too, I was toying with that idea earlier. Then I have one kicker that's on this side of the portal, and another that becomes available when someone decides the portal is open (even temporarily).

I'm discovering that about being a DM most of the time, too. Though I don't think I'm very good at dropping the little hints about the personality of the bad guys and magic items ... most of it stays locked inside my skull, haha.

And I think I shall join you in the tavern, seems like a fun place ;)

Dawn Raven

First Post
Most of it never reaches the player's brains, simply going from one ear to the other. I find that my friends play more for the social engineering and the combat than anything remotely resembling an estimable roleplay. As such, many of my attempts to throw them off the main quest [or even put them ON the main quest] end up being extirpated from the brains of my fellows. They prefer fatuous games caused by feckless decision-making. Alas, most of the stuff I end up writing gets filed into an extant folder on my hard drive never to see the light of day. I suppose they're lucky that I love them enough to DM anyway...always throwing out a hint here or there hoping it will one day be discovered.

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Haha, I can sympathize with you there ;) Though most of my story writing probably falls more into the category of day-dreaming; I rarely write it out.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a group that put as much thought into the game as the DM does. But the main thing is that everyone has fun, right?

Edit: Something I noticed in the summary on your CS when browsing: I'm pretty sure you don't do 26d4+4 damage with Bastion of Defense ;)

Last edited:

Dawn Raven

First Post
Oops! And I thought I had found all the errors..le sigh. time to go make changes.

EDIT: Okay I saw an error in math but it was in the template part. I have +2 initiative from my race, +2 for the class and +1 Dex so it should calculate in the green to +5. However, it is only showing as +3. Something isn't being calculated correctly. Can anyone help with that?

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I think I know what went wrong there. In the data for that chart, you have

|InitClass = 0
|InitClassFeature = 2

InitClass is where the numerical bonus goes, InitClassFeature is the name of what the bonus comes from. So, it's thinking that you're getting a bonus of +0 from a class feature named "2". Replacing it with the following should work:

|InitClass = 2
|InitClassFeature = Combat Leader

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
With the passing of the 2nd characters proposal, I'm gonna go ahead and resurrect this thread.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm planning to put together an avenger once PHB2 is out. Not sure what race he'll be ... maybe just plain old human ;)

But I'm curious - what characters are you thinking of playing?

Remove ads