D&D General What Compels YOU to a new RPG?

Aldarc

Legend
There are SO may RPGs out there, but I have little interest in playing anything new. It led me to wonder, as I have read about many of you playing different systems, what compels you to a new RPG?
It's fun to try new things. Setting/genre. Flexible tool kits. Wanting to play rule systems that cultivate different gaming experiences than either D&D, Shadowrun, or Vampire do. D&D does D&D style fantasy extremely well, but it becomes a stretch outside of that (narrower than you would think) range of fantasy. Liking how other games do certain things better than D&D does or at least closer to my own preferences either as a player or a GM.

I can honestly say that the only time that I have played or run D&D/Pathfinder over the past 7 years has been due to people wanting to try D&D. They try it, and then their/our interest usually peters out in favor of a host of other games: e.g., Numenera, Fate, Dungeon World, etc.

And why do you stick with it?
Presumably because the Table had fun with the game. It works at cultivating the sort of gaming experience that it's supposed to. And players want to continue playing it. So probably more or less the same reason that you stick with D&D, Shadowrun, and Vampire.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
It doesn't matter how interested, curious, or amazed I am about a new system. If I can't find or convince other people to play with, or at least give it a try, it's not usually worth the trouble and effort for me to learn a new system, much less invest non-disposable money in a line of products.

Case in point. One of the local gaming stores that I frequent has a GM program. A few months ago, the owners had asked the group why so few were actually running games through the program lately. Many of the responses boiled down to something like "I offered to run my favorite game (X) before, but nobody showed any interest. They all want to play D&D, and specifically 5e." And that was the end of the discussion.

I got lucky. I found a dedicated and enthusiastic group who loved Star Wars and loved the system I was running (FFG). We played for nearly 6 months straight, every other weekend. I was also able to introduce a lot more players through beginner games and demos, even used the narrative system for a discussion I gave to our GM group.

I think I might have strayed from the topic, but it is a major factor for many. Personally, I like to see how things are done differently or new ways to approach ideas. But with so many choices and options out there for RPGs, it seems futile to invest too much if no one else is interested or willing to play with you.

atanakar

Hero
A rpg is not that expensive when you compare it to other hobbies. In my book if I can GM an adventure of 3-4 nightly sessions (worth 25$ of entertainment each) I consider the return on my investment fully reimbursed. After that it's just an extra ball of ice cream on top of the cone.

Usually I managed to get 3 to 10 sessions out of a non-D&D rpg. Modern d20 was an exception with 18 sessions. My D&D campaigns usually last between 15-40 sessions before I get tired of it or the group disbands.

I stick with a system as long as a GM I enjoy it and the players want to be at the table. Mileage varies. I used to do one-shots to try out systems but lately I'm not sure I want to that anymore.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I do not need any more new rule systems. I am tired of spending time to learn yet more rules. Iike new settings though, so I am more likely to buy something not meshed with a rule system.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Compels? That's a strong word.

I try a new system because someone wants to run or play it. I stay because the people at the table have fun and want to keep playing. The number of ways to do this are too many to elucidate.

Shiroiken

Legend
Most of my experiences with new games was during college when I'd get invited to various RPGs. In general, I've found the ones I enjoyed the most were the ones that had good mechanics tied to the setting. D&D seems to have been the only exception, and that's because it was where I started (not counting NES video games like FF and Dragon Warrior).

I'm generally only interested in new games if I think they'll let me do something I can't readily do with the tools I already have.

These days, since I already own universal games and know how to hack DnD to do a lot of alternate genres, that usually means the game does something specific.

For me, it's a mixture of three things:

1 - The rules are easy to learn. There's only so much time I want to spend learning a new game and then have to worry about the players learning the rules. This goes doubly for any one-shot and mini-campaign games.

2 - It's got to be compelling and exciting to me. At this point, I don't really need another D&D or OSR-variant. It's hard to justify spinning up a new game that's just going to do the same things as D&D, just differently.

3 - The game has to be exciting for the players. I've known GMs that got so excited to run a game that they never stop to think whether it would be fun for the players, and eventually that way lies potential disaster for the campaign or even the gaming group.

pogre

Legend
I cannot explain why, but I do not really look at new systems in rpgs much these days.

One of my players would probably have to bring me a game she was super excited about to get me to buy it.

It's odd, because I buy tons of different miniature rules systems - I am buying and looking forward to playing Osprey's Oathmark. I have dozens of fantasy miniatures rules, and yet, I buy more.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases