D&D (2024) What could OneD&D to bring YOU back to D&D? (+)

Yora

Legend
I don't even care about the specifics of the game.
First WotC would have to clean up their act and do something about their long history of an unpleasant reputation. Then I might be inclined to take a look at what they might actually want to sell.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Tempest cleric makes a great example. Currently thematic flavor comes at level 1. Can cast thunder wave and shock guys that hit you. Under One those thematics go away till level 3 and even then are greatly reduced due to not having a thematic channel divinity.

Warlocks will face similar issues.

Hopefully that helps some.
It does. I guess its not a removal but a reshuffle to make the levels more uniform across the classes. Id like backgrounds to fill some of this space myself.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Not sure anbout 1D&D, but I all thought 5e was set up to deliver thematics at the subclass level. If want to thematics at the start, then you just start at third level.
The question was asked about what can be done to draw me to one d&d - a focus on thematics at low level would excite me.

One of my biggest pet peeves has been that EK’s get nothing magical before level 3. IMO that really hurts there thematic appeal when starting at level 1.

Incenjucar

Legend
As someone who has been in the game since 1992, and even made academic decisions based on the game, but who saw 5E and went lol nope (but did finish a 6-year long 4E campaign):

• Bring back balance without making it boring. No more options intentionally designed to be better, no more avoiding letting non-casters do cool stuff
  • Avoid making the game about about our heroes the primary casters and their bumbling sidekicks
  • Make martials fun and badass and flexible
  • Don't make me buy someone else's adventure to get the new crunch.
  • Systemize things to maintain consistent math where possible. Ideally, give us the math. It's so annoying having to figure out math for homebrew.
  • Give tactics more depth. Dazed is a good start.
  • Use clearer, more exact language. Natural language is terrible.
  • Stop making DMs make decisions about written rules. Our job is to break rules, not to guess at what they are.

I have a bunch of other wishes and caveats about buying specific things. Campaign settings that aren't balanced with the rest of the game can rot on the shelf, for example.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases