D&D (2024) What could OneD&D to bring YOU back to D&D? (+)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
To me 5e is a game meant to be low-effort easy-to-teach and easy to find games for. Everybody's second option. As such, I have not much reason to stay with it if a new version shows up. However, the new version has to be worth it. I won't buy a thing if the juice isn't worth the squeeze. What would make me a day one convert? Having a good sorcerer class for once. If the designers give us a respectful and good rendition of the class, then I will make the switch, if not, I'll go back to my heavily houseruled 3.X and attempt a houseruled 2e with plain 5e for these low-effort times.

aco175

Legend
A few things I would like to see include;

Monster Design. 4e had a great system that allowed for one monster with multiple roles. A goblin could be a shooter or a caster and not just a front line skirmisher. It allowed a better encounter builder. 5e has been expanding the roles of monsters as they went along.

Magic Items. Cool, game breaking items were always part of the game and streamlining or balancing the way things work to make for a low-magic fairness has been boring to me. I get that the designers want to make class choices and PC development a main focus, but who does not remember their dwarf that eventually got both girdle of giant strength and the dwarven thrower axe. I do not remember his name, but do remember his coolness.

Gold, Give me something to spend it on. Magic- yes please. Stronghold- yes please. Followers- yes, yes.

Adventures. Make them better. Not sure. The last several do not appeal to me as they seem to be something not D&D to me.

reelo

Hero
Honestly? Not much, I think. At least nothing that would find widespread appeal. But I'm fine with that. I have more systems I want to run that I find much more palatable these days. I'm just not WotC's target audience (anymore)

For me to re-embrace official D&D, they'd have to "power down" the whole thing, remove the magic from most of the classes that have magical subclasses, remove feats for all but pure melee classes, and cut down on the number of weird races by at least half.

I know, I know, I'm old-fashioned, but I'm fully aware of that. I also don't like the current, almost Victorian aesthetic of the artwork.

Something like "Hyperborea" (formerly AS&SH) or "Castles & Crusades" is much more to my liking, but D&D going that route is highly unlikely. Thankfully, those games already exist, so no hard feelings.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I'm relatively new to this forum, but I've seen that "(+)" on threads before. What does it mean?
It means it is a "plus thread", one where we add to the premise of the thread instead of arguing against it. For example if a thread was "how to reduce wizard into a sorcerer subclass" and the thread was a plus thread, we wouldn't tolerate dissension with the main idea, we'd instead discuss how to best do it.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Honestly? Not much, I think. At least nothing that would find widespread appeal. But I'm fine with that. I have more systems I want to run that I find much more palatable these days. I'm just not WotC's target audience (anymore)
This, and I'm fine with it too. I'm old and have fond memories of older editions, and while I've had fun with 5e too the developments during the last few years is clearly targeting other demographics and consumer groups. OneD&D seem to go even further in that direction, and that's ok - like reelo I have other games to play.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases