D&D 5E What D&D Does That is So Good: A Celebration of 5e's Advantages

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Party-based game isn't something bad, but it's something that you need to unlearn if you, well, ain't running/playing a party-based game.

To be more specific- this isn't a judgement about party-based gaming. I mean, it is a judgment about parties. I love parties. Party party party. To quote the great RPG theorist, Andrew W.K., in his seminal work, Ima play some D&D- You? "So let's get a party going, let's get a party going! Now it's time to party and we'll party hard, party hard! Let's get a party going, let's get a party going! When it's time to party, we will always party hard, party hard! Party hard, party hard, party hard, party hard, party hard, party hard, party hard ... PARTY HARD!"

Ahem. But assuming, arguendo, that TTRPGs are a social game, that involve multiple people (usually four or more), then it makes sense that the "party" is such a desirable state-of-being within the game, as it provides for a reason for the people to be RPing together and a unified purpose, not to mention a good reason for such concepts as "sharing the spotlight" within the game.

Whether by luck or accident, I don't think it's a big surprise that .... we all like to party hard party hard party hard!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Edit For example, these grogs who you're insulting prefer a game style that led to a meteoric rise of the game, so based on history alone, your comment makes no sense. Obviously a whole lot of new people were brought into the hobby playing a gamestyle that "grogs" like. We all, including grogs, were new players at one point.

I'm not sure about that. I am fairly certain that I was born a grognard.

One of my earliest memories was playing lawn darts*, but spending the entire time telling the others kids to get off the lawn.

*A game that likely created the maxim, "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball." Or, to quote the famous lawn dart player Biff "Shifty" Blinkerton, "OMIGAWD IT WENT RIGHT THROUGH MY FOOT!"

Last edited:

2a) I kind of feeling like they aren't really mining for lore though. They're just kind of handwaving, or changing things on a dime with no explanation, ignoring the gold mines, even when looking through the lore could actually help them with the current lore and what they want to bring forward.

Remove ads